#47 | Phil Foden - 2021/22 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very narrow and no striker. Playing are most creative player that far up is a waste of his best talents. Looks good on paper but think we’d still really struggle to break top teams down. No obvious answer though without a forward.
It’s not near perfect I admit but I can say that there’s hardly a starting eleven that anyone conjures out of our current crop that would best this one when we are playing difficult games and I say that with all sense of responsibility. Last season we played like this against difficult teams and did pretty well.

The problem with playing KDB deep in midfield these days is that he seems to be less fit compared to previously. Against the likes of Southampton and Brighton that would work well but against a Chelsea or Liverpool away, we would have to be wary of their counterattacking powers.

Last season it was mainly Foden left and Mahrez right which is also narrow but it didn’t hinder us too much. I had hoped Jesus would be that guy to provide that extra danger in stretching teams but on the evidence of the past two league games, I’d rather stick to Grealish and Foden till I’m proven otherwise.

It’s not near perfect I admit but I can say that there’s hardly a starting eleven that anyone conjures out of our current crop that would best this one when we are playing difficult games and I say that with all sense of responsibility. Last season we played like this against difficult teams and did pretty well.

The problem with playing KDB deep in midfield these days is that he seems to be less fit compared to previously. Against the likes of Southampton and Brighton that would work well but against a Chelsea or Liverpool away, we would have to be wary of their counterattacking powers.

Last season it was mainly Foden left and Mahrez right which is also narrow but it didn’t hinder us too much. I had hoped Jesus would be that guy to provide that extra danger in stretching teams but on the evidence of the past two league games, I’d rather stick to Grealish and Foden till I’m proven otherwise.
Maybe but Foden on the left is the only one out there who can give us width as he has the pace to go on the outside. Mahrez even provides more actual width wide than Grealish because he can actually score and produce things with his weak foot.

I don't think false 9 is Fodens best position but I do think he's currently our best fit for that position.

Gundogan is needed further back controlling and dictating the game.

Bernardo energy is lost upfront as he spends the game chasing centre half's he's never going to get close enough to tackle or force into mistakes, that energy is needed further back.

kdb in that role negates his strongest attirbute which is his ability to find forward passes nobody else can find, bit hard to do even for him when he's receiving the ball as the furthest man forward.

Sterling should work but clearly doesn't.

Torres has no presence whatsoever, he taps one in or he's invisable all game.

mahrez in theory should be an option, he has great close control and dribbling and he can finish but he isn't disciplined enough to play that role and not play it lazily otherwise he would probably be one of if not our best option.

I've ignored jesus purely on the basis both he and Pep seem to now consider him as a winger. personally I'd still have him upfront for the big games.

I don't think false 9 is Fodens best position but I do think he's currently our best fit for that position.

Gundogan is needed further back controlling and dictating the game.

Bernardo energy is lost upfront as he spends the game chasing centre half's he's never going to get close enough to tackle or force into mistakes, that energy is needed further back.

kdb in that role negates his strongest attirbute which is his ability to find forward passes nobody else can find, bit hard to do even for him when he's receiving the ball as the furthest man forward.

Sterling should work but clearly doesn't.

Torres has no presence whatsoever, he taps one in or he's invisable all game.

mahrez in theory should be an option, he has great close control and dribbling and he can finish but he isn't disciplined enough to play that role and not play it lazily otherwise he would probably be one of if not our best option.

I've ignored jesus purely on the basis both he and Pep seem to now consider him as a winger. personally I'd still have him upfront for the big games.

False 9 is sensationally hard to play, Messi could do it because he's Messi. I'm surprised we ask anyone to play there tbh. Even when we win games where we play a false 9, the player himself seems to rarely get any goals or assists and mostly act as a distraction for the centre-backs.

False 9 is sensationally hard to play, Messi could do it because he's Messi. I'm surprised we ask anyone to play there tbh. Even when we win games where we play a false 9, the player himself seems to rarely get any goals or assists and mostly act as a distraction for the centre-backs.
Yeah, case in point was playing KDB there in the Champs league final. Since we fucked up not buying a striker again unless Delap is ready then the best options seem stick Jesus back there despite him liking the wings because at least he can occupy centre halves to create space for others. Or play Torres there knowing he’ll often do an impression of the invisible man but is also a very good finisher.

Play our best players where they’re best!

By the way just wanted to point out a quick observation. I've been watching his cameo closely since he came on and I realise why pep now wants to move phil centrally. Firstly he's seemed to have just calmed down with ball in the sense that he would keep the ball moving and retain possession rather than be aggressive and pass forward and dribble at the defenders at times.

Secondly, and i've seen an article from sam lee on this topic a while ago is that he seems to have now learnt the "la pausa" skill that david silva used the have. If you watch back on around the 88 minute mark after walkers does the thrown in to foden, phil slowed down with the ball, paused for a brief moment causing the defenders to move towards him leaving space vacant behind for walker on the right wing which allowed foden to exploit that and make a pass to him.

He's learning well and think we need to be more patient as he hones his skills for that central position. Still young so still things to learn but he's definitely maturing and what a talent we have on our hands!

Reactions: cbl
I know it's only Wycombe but he's such a joy to watch.

Just said he's nearing Superstar status, he does things that no other English midfielder does and looks effortless doing it. We've missed him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.