47 | Phil Foden - 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.
This all day long. Pep doesn't sub players who make one off mistakes.

He subbed Henry at halftime at Barca, after he scored a goal, because he didn't work to the plan.
1 thing pep does do is hook players who do not do what they are told.

I don't think it was because of taking the shot, not giving Haaland a tap in, but it could have been he wasn't doing what he was told and we just don't know what that is.

It could also be match fitness but 45 minutes is very early, you'd normally expect 60.

I wonder if we'll see Pep adopt a different attitude to Foden this season, he's no longer the young kid being brought through and nurtured. Last season was a bit steady, didn't really make any steps up after 3 or 4 crazy seasons of getting better week on week.

Now he's at the age where the best of the best start to show it, I'm expecting Pep to push him more.

If Pep's holding him to high standards, good.

I think the half-time substitution was more player/game management than punishment for a poor decision, though.

Phil's had less of a pre-season than most and the heat would have made the half he did play much more exhausting than the average 45 mins.

Also, at 3-0 up on a 30+ degree day, it's important to conserve energy. Grealish's ball retention and patient build-up facilitate a slowing down of the game and help manage the lead through to full-time.

No, they will be drilled in training about these scenarios. That attack isn't end up like that through luck. The players are arriving at the points they are instructed to.
Phil will have been told to square the pass on every occasion. Square pass = 100% goal for Haaland.
Phil was rightly hooked at half time. Now he will learn.
I don't know if that really was the reason for him being subbed, but I was fuming with him! He should be very aware of how tight the title fight has been the last couple of seasons, where ONE point, even goal difference could play a deciding part. No time for fooling around, make the pass = guaranteed goal.

And it would be fantastic for Haaland to continue to build up his confidence and moral, by scoring, opponents will work even harder to control him when thy know he scores as soon as he gets a sniff at it.

I hope Pep had a serious talk with Phil.

I don't know if that really was the reason for him being subbed, but I was fuming with him! He should be very aware of how tight the title fight has been the last couple of seasons, where ONE point, even goal difference could play a deciding part. No time for fooling around, make the pass = guaranteed goal.

And it would be fantastic for Haaland to continue to build up his confidence and moral, by scoring, opponents will work even harder to control him when thy know he scores as soon as he gets a sniff at it.

You have just listed all the reasons why pep would have subbed him for not making the pass.

The reasons why I and many of us would have like to seen him subbed, yes, - however we do not know for sure this was what caused Pep's decision.
I think so though.
It's very rare Pep makes a halftime sub unless injury is involved.
He will give halftime instruction to the player to change tactics.
This was a definite 'shot across the bow' for Foden.

Think he was right to take the shot on, but he should have scored its as simple as that

Yes, he could have squared it for a tap-in, but equally he needs to have the confidence to shoot and score from there

We will need goals from other sources, and today has been a good day for that, but ultimately I'd expect my left winger to be shooting and scoring from there

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.