4k TVs

twosips

Any experts on here? Been doing some research and its an absolute minefield of opinion/formats/resolutions and god knows what else.

OLED or QLED? HDR10+, Dolby Vision, True UHD 4k, 4k etc etc.

Looking for a 49" or 50" one. Given the PS5 is on the horizon, and me and my missus are both big gamers, we thought it might be time to make an upgrade in a few months, so doing some research now.

Last edited:
Thought you were saving for the nuptials Steve? If N gets wind of this, she'll have your wotsits for paperweights!

Ha! We both are. But the wedding is now 99% likely to be delayed for a year, as is us buying a house </3

We'll be justifying it by the extra time to save, plus the fact that we've had *loads* of things cancelled and gotten refunds. Got a feeling we can't go out to a cinema or a gig anytime soon, so a good tv on finance might at least give us a home cinema vibe!

Last edited:
Was thuinking of upgrading myself to 4K, currently have a 40" and not looking to go above 43" and opinion seems to be divided on whether you get the full benefit of the technology at that size. Was thinking of adding a Sonos Beam as well.

Any experts on here? Been doing some research and its an absolute minefield of opinion/formats/resolutions and god knows what else.

OLED or QLED? HDR10+, Dolby Vision, True UHD 4k, 4k etc etc.

Looking for a 49" or 50" one. Given the PS5 is on the horizon, and me and my missus are both big gamers, we thought it might be time to make an upgrade!
What's your budget mate

Ive just bought a 55 inch LG OLED been delivered tomorrow. If you are looking at next gen gaming you need to be looking at things that will support hdmi 2.1. LG OLEDS do this although if you are going to game fir very long periods there is a chance of burn in, the higher end Samsung QLEDS also will support this and won’t burn in.
OLEDS offer a better picture especially when it comes to Dolby vision and blacker blacks, Samsung don’t do DV the only manufacturer not to do it but they do HDR 10+ I think depending on what you are using to watch I.e. NETFLIX or Apple TV on whether it makes a massive difference .
Buy from Richer Sounds ir John Lewis you get 6/5 warranty which is great, they reckon anything below 55 is pointless for 4k unless you sit with your head in the screen. Seating distances are closer fir 4k that’s why screens are getting bigger so you can sit in same position.

4K is irrelevant in most cases. Unless you sit about a metre away from it, you'll barely notice a difference. Having said that, all TVs are 4K nowadays, so it's a moot point. If you're buying a new TV it'll be 4K anyway. But the thing you really will notice is a high dynamic range. You can get TVs labelled with HDR, but OLED is where you'll see the real difference. As I understand it, QLED isn't anything worth giving a shit about.

In my experience you get what you pay for. Exhaustively read in depth tech reviews mate and spend what you can. That sort of picture quality will last you for years.

In my experience you get what you pay for. Exhaustively read in depth tech reviews mate and spend what you can. That sort of picture quality will last you for years.

Literally spent hours last night and this morning reading up! Every time I thought I'd made up mind, there was a slight negative in the review that made me look at something else...and then that cycle repeated.

"This one has great x and y, but sadly doesn't have great z". They all have stuff like that, so it becomes a little hard to tell what's actually the most critical, as reviews tend to value different things over others, as its human preference a lot of the time.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.