#5 | John Stones - 2020/21 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, when he did his hammy against Leicester in December in the 100 point season. But in general I agree with what you said, I'm a bit surprised by the positive comments on here after yesterday, even though yes, he did start the game very well. And I'm actually one who always defends him on here.
Just about to post similar. He was certainly playing well up to that point, and he hasn't quite reached those heights again. I'm sure with a good run in the team he will get there. He just needs to stay fit and keep his head in the game.

A couple of headed goals from corners will do his confidence the world of good.

I thought he played well in the first half after such a long time out. I liked the fact he put his foot through the ball when he was in trouble rather than playing silly passes or keeping the ball for too long (although he still did the former once in the first half but got away with it).

He was playing in a new CB partnership which should also be taken into consideration. The second half the whole team suffered from a lack of fitness so again I'm not going to judge him harshly on that.

Ultimately the key from last night was that if the whole team press and defend well then our CBs are less exposed and we look a much tougher side to beat. If we do sign another CB and Laporte comes in it will only make us even better.

I saw issues last night, but feel he is here for at least next season so let’s get behind him.

We need to get a CB in and sell Garcia (not committed) and Otamendi (should have gone last season).

This would leave Stones as potentially 3/4 choice, as I do expect Ake might end up left back when Laporte plays pushing Stones up the pecking order.

Overall, not a first team player for me unless he rediscovers that form, which is sadly starting to look the exception and not the rule. Sorry John.

If Stones played with a Laporte mask on last night and Laporte on the back of his shirt then everyone on here would he heaping praise on him.

Too often an easy target. Pep spent £47.5m on him so he should be able to iron out some of his alleged faults.

Really impressed with him last night - seemed very comfortable on the ball, not panicking, composed passes between himself Kyle and Ake.

Just thought I would share that Whoscored rated Stones slightly higher than Ake in the Wolves match (even though I think the raitings system inherently underrated them both for the circumstances), with only Walker having a higher rating as a defender.

You can criticise their rating system but it is a decent form/performance trends indicator, so we’ll see what trajectory Stones takes in that regard.

Let's have it right before we get too excited most Bluemooner's could have looked pretty good in that 1st half as Wolves were pushed so far back . Second half he looked more nervous and unsure ,as was I.

For me, he’s good enough to play for us as our main right centre half. It’s just his injury record and time it takes him to get up to speed after injuries that’s the issue.

I really rate him though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.