50 Years ago today. Chelsea v City FA cup

Where has this half century gone ?

Funny that, in the last couple of days I've been watching a lot of the documentary stuff on Youtube on Sandy Denny and her time with Fairport Convention. I wonder if you know her beautiful song, “Who knows where the time goes?” Give it a listen. It speaks to all us old fogeys. It's a question I've been asking myself a lot, recently.

I could
Against our reserves to be fair, we had that many injuries.
We absolutely battered them at Maine Road but couldn’t overturn the 1-0 deficit from the first leg.
I couldn't get to Manchester for the second leg and it came as a shock to me that we didn't go through
I do remember though that there was absolutely thousands of City fans at both the FA Cup & European Cup Winners away games
Not much I can remember from them days to be fair but the amount of Blues that turned up is ingrained in my memory

I could

I couldn't get to Manchester for the second leg and it came as a shock to me that we didn't go through
I do remember though that there was absolutely thousands of City fans at both the FA Cup & European Cup Winners away games
Not much I can remember from them days to be fair but the amount of Blues that turned up is ingrained in my memory
From February onwards we were ravaged with injuries and mainly played a bunch of young up and coming players. We were magnificent in that game, but typically City, we lost otherwise we would have won the double Cup Winners Cup, whilst Liverpool could only dream of Europe.

I was at that game. It was a great performance against a strong Chelsea side. Colin Bell was at his brilliant best.

50 years ago? That makes me feel like Methuselah.
Yes I love that footage and especially the City fans singing Na Na Na..Na Na Na...Hey Hey Hey...King Colin. That was a brilliant result against Chelsea who were a great side at the time and the FA Cup holders. I went to the home leg of the Euro semi but injuries stopped us progressing. Bell was fantastic that season.

I was at that game. It was a great performance against a strong Chelsea side. Colin Bell was at his brilliant best.

50 years ago? That makes me feel like Methuselah.
I was there if I remember we got battered first half but second half superb with the King scoring a couple worst part getting beat up on the train back to Crewe

Yes I love that footage and especially the City fans singing Na Na Na..Na Na Na...Hey Hey Hey...King Colin. That was a brilliant result against Chelsea who were a great side at the time and the FA Cup holders. I went to the home leg of the Euro semi but injuries stopped us progressing. Bell was fantastic that season.
Yes City suffered the most horrendous injury crisis towards the end of that season. In a rearranged late home game City's ravaged side made up almost entirely of reserve and youth players drew 2-2 against a deliberately weakened Liverpool team as they were resting their players for a Fairs Cup tie against Leeds. Liverpool were fined for fielding a weakened side. City weren't.

That pitch, though. Unbelievable. And that was in January. Still three more months to play on it.

Funny. I have no memory of Arthur Mann, whatsoever. And I can remember some of our lesser luminaries from that era well. But just a blank on him.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.