53 years ago today

Gypsy curse???? Our greatest European night, not covered on either of the 2 main channels as they were BOTH covering the FA Cup Final Replay...........at old toilet.

Bloody Chelsea, bloody cup winners cup semi final the next season, grrrrrrrrr.

The war in Vietnam was about to spread into Cambodia and the Beatles split.

On the plus side, England were about to launch their catchy Back Home, Apollo 13 got safely back, Third Doctor Jon Pertwee battled the Ambassadors Of Death, oh and I was born about 7 months later!

The only major European final involving an English team not to be televised.
Because the FA Cup Final replay between Chelsea and Leeds was being shown instead.
Also the lowest ever attended European final in history according to some rags

Manchester City won the European Cup Winners' Cup, beating Gornik Zabrze 2-1 on a filthy night in Vienna.

View attachment 77051

#nohistory
The Prata Stadium back then was a basic concrete bowl with no cover apart from the main stand.

There were two packages on offer a one-day fly in and fly back after the match and a three-day trip with two nights in a hotel. We opted for the three-day option.

It had been a rather nice day and very few were dressed for a downpour. We spent some time at the nearby park and went on the big Ferris Wheel, famous for the scene in the Third Man film.

The weather was still fine for the first half of the match but it really pelted down throughout the second half and I was absolutely soaked through to the skin. I had to do a complete change of clothes at the hotel afterwards.

There were 7,968 there, mostly City fans.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.