#7 | Raheem Sterling - 2021/22 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
what-ever we fans see, Pep sees, which confuses the fuck out of me. The oppo defenses obviously think he is very dangerous with 2 or 3 on him, but nothing new there, i am genuinely lost for ideas as to what the "problem" or remedy is.
He can be very dangerous.

All players are critiqued against their performances (good and bad) and Bernardo was no exception

I think a big difference is that, for all the relevant criticisms about his form, people like to let their imaginations run wild with Sterling and that's something that's followed him the entire time.

Everything from "he's downed tools, he'll be off in the summer" and "he looked a bit miserable in that interview, his head is elsewhere" to implications that he's shagging about because he was dancing with another girl at his own birthday party.

People absolutely love to fill in the blanks with Sterling and it's pathetic.

I'm mostly a lurker (993 posts in what, 12 years?). I get my city discussion from people around me and I come on here to have a read whilst I'm avoiding working.

But 90% of what I do post must be because I get fed up of blue piling in on whoever seems to be the target for the season, most commonly Sterling. There's absolutely no room for nuance and measured critique, its all full on attack or hero worship. The best foil to Sterling on here would be Bernardo. 18 months of abject mediocrity until January last season, yet given a pass by everyone, to the point that he was begging to leave this summer and everyone was desperate for him to stay. Compare that to Sterling who's had 3 seasons of 20+ goals from the wing, had a poor season (still 14 goals) but a great international tournament, not made any noise about wanting to go, nothing in the press about not getting enogh minutes toward the end of last season.... yet some on here are apaplectic with rage that he has the audacity to come on as a substitute and not score and assist several goals.

Just for clarity, I'm glad Bernardo has stayed and we would currently be fucked without him. I used him as a contrast to Sterling because they've had similar soaring highs and dragging lows in terms of performance stretches.
A comparison on Saturday, Jack fluffed a one on one with the keeper when he should have played the simple ball to Raz, imagine the uproar on here if it was the other way round.

All players are critiqued against their performances (good and bad) and Bernardo was no exception, so if you think Bernardo was given a free ride, I think you would be mistaken.

I don't think many would argue that over the years Sterling has added great value, but conversely, his form has fallen off a cliff (and some time ago at that) and is being critiqued for his current performances.

You will always get far extremes on both sides of the argument, but that is the nature of the beast

I can't say I've ever seen a Bernardo equivalent to Blues mocking Sterling's finishing while watching an entirely different game like I did yesterday, and that's just one example. I think you're being a bit disingenuous equating the criticism that both players have had, honestly

I think a big difference is that, for all the relevant criticisms about his form, people like to let their imaginations run wild with Sterling and that's something that's followed him the entire time.

Everything from "he's downed tools, he'll be off in the summer" and "he looked a bit miserable in that interview, his head is elsewhere" to implications that he's shagging about because he was dancing with another girl at his own birthday party.

People absolutely love to fill in the blanks with Sterling and it's pathetic.
Until he gets back to his best, I'm afraid the criticism you describe will surely continue.

I can't say I've ever seen a Bernardo equivalent to Blues mocking Sterling's finishing while watching an entirely different game like I did yesterday, and that's just one example. I think you're being a bit disingenuous equating the criticism that both players have had, honestly
I think a big issue with the Sterling performance thread are the extreme views presented fuel each other to a point whereby the place becomes a pissing contest and personal abuse starts. This goes on until the mods have to intervene.

I think a big issue with the Sterling performance thread are the extreme views presented fuel each other to a point whereby the place becomes a pissing contest and personal abuse starts. This goes on until the mods have to intervene.

That is certainly an issue, and I think one that could be avoided a bit more often if people on both sides of the argument stuck to evaluating his performances on the pitch.

Let's face it.....Raheem's performances (even from one minute to the next) have pretty much always been a ridiculous combination of superstar level skills and outright mediocrity. He can make the impossible look simple and in the next move look completely incompetent! Few players consistently show this level of inconsistency and it IS difficult for fans to understand.

If more players showed anything like this level of variation in their games, I don't think Raheem would attract anything like as much negativity as he does.

As a comparison, I suppose Traore is the only one who comes close. I wonder if Wolves' fans have the same level of frustration?

Sorry but seeing Bernardo sprint past Sterling to press Leicester City not 10 minutes after he came on is just laughably pathetic.

Let's face it.....Raheem's performances (even from one minute to the next) have pretty much always been a ridiculous combination of superstar level skills and outright mediocrity. He can make the impossible look simple and in the next move look completely incompetent! Few players consistently show this level of inconsistency and it IS difficult for fans to understand.

If more players showed anything like this level of variation in their games, I don't think Raheem would attract anything like as much negativity as he does.

As a comparison, I suppose Traore is the only one who comes close. I wonder if Wolves' fans have the same level of frustration?
The Traoré Sterling comparison is one I have seen before but it is absolutely criminal.

Sterling started at QPR, made 2 step up transfers.

Traoré started at Barcelona and has made downwards steps ever since.

Sterling has 156 career goals. Traoré has 25.

Sterling is looking for his 4th Premier League title. Traoré is looking for his 3rd Premier League relegation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.