#7 | Raheem Sterling - 2021/22 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Traoré Sterling comparison is one I have seen before but it is absolutely criminal.

Sterling started at QPR, made 2 step up transfers.

Traoré started at Barcelona and has made downwards steps ever since.

Sterling has 156 career goals. Traoré has 25.

Sterling is looking for his 4th Premier League title. Traoré is looking for his 3rd Premier League relegation.
Think you have totally missed his point

I think a big difference is that, for all the relevant criticisms about his form, people like to let their imaginations run wild with Sterling and that's something that's followed him the entire time.

Everything from "he's downed tools, he'll be off in the summer" and "he looked a bit miserable in that interview, his head is elsewhere" to implications that he's shagging about because he was dancing with another girl at his own birthday party.

People absolutely love to fill in the blanks with Sterling and it's pathetic.
For all the criticism I dont think downing tools should ever be attributed to him. Whether hes playing shit or not, he never hides.

A comparison on Saturday, Jack fluffed a one on one with the keeper when he should have played the simple ball to Raz, imagine the uproar on here if it was the other way round.
very fair point. However, that was the first time Jacks done that. If it becomes a habit like sterling then he'll have plenty on his back too.

A comparison on Saturday, Jack fluffed a one on one with the keeper when he should have played the simple ball to Raz, imagine the uproar on here if it was the other way round.
In fairness mate if you want to be unbiased then logic plays a part. Sterling has regularly fucked up on one on one's. He is kind of known for it. Jack has been here 5 minutes. Every player fucks up but when it happens often and in the same circumstances it will get mentioned.

Whoever the player happens to be.

The difference is Grealish, Foden, KDB, Jesus, Bernardo bring other things besides their goals and shooting ability. They are great passing the ball, dribbling…if Sterling doesn’t score, what else can he bring to the team"?

The difference is Grealish, Foden, KDB, Jesus, Bernardo bring other things besides their goals and shooting ability. They are great passing the ball, dribbling…if Sterling doesn’t score, what else can he bring to the team"?
If you asked Pep what he thinks Sterling's qualities are and why he picks him when he does, what do you think he'd say?

If you asked Pep what he thinks Sterling's qualities are and why he picks him when he does, what do you think he'd say?
He is playing for, maybe, the best team in the world. Of course he has plenty of qualities. His movement is world-class, his pace and counterattack ability are also great. But again, all of these qualities are useful if he scores goals. Players like KDB, Foden, Grealish, Silva, Jesus can have great games with 0 goals and 0 assists, Sterling can’t. His abilities are all tied to his numbers. And that’s why no one is gonna criticize other players as much when they don’t score.

A comparison I like is Xavi, Zidane and Iniesta with Lampard. Lampard has 3 times the amount of goals of the others. Not one manager would choose Lampard ahead of the other 3. And Lampard gives much more to his team than only his goals.

To know how relevant the numbers are for a player you need to watch him constantly. That’s why I hate the argument of X scored 20 goals so he had a much better season than Y who only scored 10.

He is playing for, maybe, the best team in the world. Of course he has plenty of qualities. His movement is world-class, his pace and counterattack ability are also great. But again, all of these qualities are useful if he scores goals. Players like KDB, Foden, Grealish, Silva, Jesus can have great games with 0 goals and 0 assists, Sterling can’t. His abilities are all tied to his numbers. And that’s why no one is gonna criticize other players as much when they don’t score.

A comparison I like is Xavi, Zidane and Iniesta with Lampard. Lampard has 3 times the amount of goals of the others. Not one manager would choose Lampard ahead of the other 3. And Lampard gives much more to his team than only his goals.

To know how relevant the numbers are for a player you need to watch him constantly. That’s why I hate the argument of X scored 20 goals so he had a much better season than Y who only scored 10.
Thanks for the reply.

I disagree with the bolded.

While I get your general point about numbers not being everything for certain players, I think a lot of managers would actually take Lampard ahead of Iniesta at least. Really depends on their setup and style of play.

He wasn't his electric best but I thought he had a more than respectable showing. His quick thinking led to our 5th goal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.