#7 | Raheem Sterling - 2021/22 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
So Sterling scores and has a brilliant game against a team with Mbappe, Messi, Neymar and some fans first reaction is,

“Get rid, not good enough!”

I did say some “fans” use Raheem as a scapegoat for how they feel about people of my complexion and ethnicity. It is not even hidden anymore.

Save your excuses we know what you are, just own it!
Racism is not allowed on here, and will be dealt with. It is also a serious accusation to be throwing around without supporting evidence. If you can please link to any posts criticising Raheem due to his "complexion and ethnicity", we would be grateful. Thanks.

Expect much head scratching from those with a different view point, followed by a confirmation bias based one line response of “Yeah but he’s scored 3 in 3”.

I’ve learned it’s best to praise the glimmers of hope and heavily temper your language when highlighting the short comings. You get less abuse and accusations.

You’re absolutely correct in your summation of course, though our course may change if we bring in a striker, and I have long held the belief that; that course may suit Sterling better.
An excellent point, as Sterling is clearly a better player when playing off a central, yet mobile, striker for England.

The biggest difference, of course, is Pep requires a different round peg for the round hole than Southgate…even though Southgate is trying his best Pep impression!

xG is only readily available on public websites since about 14/15 so can't compare Sergio v Shearer.

Sterling entered scoring mode in 17/18 and can easily compare with great scorers since then on non-penalty goals.

From the table below for league games only Ronaldo's cumulative xG for non-penalty shots was 81 and he scored 85 non-penalty goals so just +4 over his xG. At the other extreme Messi is +33 which is simply incredible.

Jesus 51...44.....-7 (yes that's a minus so 7 goals down on his xG )
Ronaldo 81...85.....+4
Sterling 60....66....+6
Aguero 47....54....+7
Salah 79.....92... +13
Kane 64....77 ....+13
Messi 79... 112....+33

Conversion rate per shot and Sterling has the best. Obviously there are reasons for that and I'm sure you, as a great football man, will know what they are :)

Sterling 18%
Jesus 17%
Aguero 16%
Kane 16%
Salah 16%
Messi 16%
Ronaldo 12%
Great stats, thanks!

And, I’ll have a go:

Choice and proximity!

Pep Guardiola on Raheem Sterling: "I'm so glad for him, it's helped us. He'll fight to do better. It's good for both wingers to score and get assists, he is decisive. He knows he can do better, one-v-one, but this is a step to come back in his best." [via
@_StephenKillen

Pep Guardiola: "I took him [Raheem Sterling] back to basics, when you're at this level, it's normal. This calendar, they have more and more games. Sometimes the guys are tired here [mentally]. It's so difficult, it's just physical, physical, physical..."

Pep Guardiola: "So demanding, a little bit low. Come back to basics. Step by step, basics will be enough when the confidence come back, you come back who you are. If one player plays well their ability doesn't go. Raheem is still the same guy." [via
@_StephenKillen

Pep Guardiola on Raheem Sterling: "You have highs and lows, it's important that the lows aren't too low. They want to perform well, we won #PL, I want to leave good. At the same time, relax. It doesn't depend on individual [success], it's the team..."

“Confirmation bias is the tendency to search for, interpret, favor, and recall information in a way that confirms or supports one's prior beliefs or values.

People display this bias when they select information that supports their views, ignoring contrary information, or when they interpret ambiguous evidence as supporting their existing attitudes. The effect is strongest for desired outcomes, for emotionally charged issues, and for deeply entrenched beliefs.”

Where on earth would I have got confirmation bias? He is a person whom I only know through his football and what I see on the field. No pre-conceived notions.

I laud him when he plays well (see my comments on his Everton performance) but also highlight his PERSISTENT shortfalls when I see them.

When he came here, he was young, exciting and direct. He chipped in with goals and looked to be a diamond in the rough. However, that diamond has not produced the brilliance it portended, and recently looked to be getting rougher, not more polished, in the City team.

I’m not sure what bias that illustrates. Am I racist? Do I just not like him? Have I read too much negative press and I’m just piling on?

What EXACTLY am I wrong about? How EXACTLY would I “murder City in a heartbeat”?

I don’t generally respond to baseless, emotional posts full of personal attacks without evidence…..Oh wait, that’s half of this Forum!…so EDUCATE ME, tell me what you’re seeing that I am missing.

Explain to me how his performances warrant a starting position when everyone is fit, and who he keeps out of this current team, and why.

It’s great to defend a player, but ACTUALLY defend him, don’t attack me.

I look forward to hearing about his great first touch, his technical qualities, his outstanding shooting, and his brilliant decision-making when on the ball. These are all traits I find lacking in him, so I look forward to you educating me and producing the evidence of these skills.

His best work is instinctive, like getting into positions to receive a pass…only to often fluff his lines from there, unless an instinctive finish is required, and even then he has a tendency to overthink it.

A perfect example is the difference between the one on one, from a cross/slotted pass against Everton. Instead of a first time shot/pass into the goal against Pickford, he tried to jink around him, and lost complete control of the ball before Pickford smothered it. Against PSG, the deflection through Jesus’ leg meant THE ONLY THING HE COULD DO was reach out and try to get a toe on the ball, which is exactly what he did!

Right place, right time, decisions to make: Lost control.

Right place, right time, no decision to make: GOAL!

Those are just two concrete examples from the last two games which illustrate exactly what I’m saying.

You can call that “confirmation bias” until you’re blue in the face, but I call it hard evidence of my position that he is technically inferior to every player with whom he is competing for a game, at present.

Is he better than Mahrez? Foden? Bernardo?

I didn’t even mention a fit Grealish, fit Torres or even Jesus?

There are SIX PLAYERS who play in similar positions that he has to beat out for a job.

Now, he could obviously play with a couple of them on the front line, but what of the other 4?

Yes, he has tapped in 3 in 3, which is great and long may it continue! But, my argument is that in a possession team, the low percentage “flick around the corner” when attacking is a killer “pass.” For comparison, Bernardo (who played as a false nine presser) had 47 passes last night, with 47 completions, not the least of which was a beautifully cushioned inside foot volley pass to Jesus for the winner! (Which was very similar to the one Sterling fluffed in the first half!)

That was our pressing center forward who ran himself into the ground last night, but he came up with that movement and volley pass with his tank 80% empty…decision-making and technical ability of the highest order!

THAT is the standard at City now, even for the bloody full backs, as evidenced by Walker’s flying airborne volley pass for the first goal!!!

Personally, I don’t think Sterlings game has progressed in the last 12-18 months, while the team has, which means his technical deficiencies and decision-making are being further exposed, even magnified.

Pep is called Fraudiola because people say he only goes to teams where he can spend a fortune on players. Yet, Pep himself readily admits he needs the most technically gifted players he can get to play the perfect football he tries to coach.

THAT is who we’re are now, and it has left Sterling behind through the lack of continued development. Palmer and MacAteer are being bloodied in the first team because of the very attributes I’m saying Sterling lacks. Accordingly, as their experience grows, I believe this will move him further down the pecking order, because Pep will TRUST THEM MORE to not give the ball away and have the technical ability to play the way he wants.

Horses for courses, as they say, and the City course isn’t suiting where Sterling currently is in his development, which I feel stalled, or at least has sputtered, over the last 12 months or so.

Now, refute me.
It's always been a case of his pros outweighing his cons for me.
I've always accepted his limitations because his other attributes have more than made up for them.
Sadly he hit a bit of a brick wall for a fairly long period and the his strengths and assets he brought to us were lacking leaving us with just the shell of a player we've seen over the last 6-12 months.
He continues to provide goals and assists until the end of the season and I'll be made up. His poor control and decision making will be forgiven and I'll wish him well on his future as I'm firmly in the camp now that a move is best for everyone.

It's always been a case of his pros outweighing his cons for me.
I've always accepted his limitations because his other attributes have more than made up for them.
Sadly he hit a bit of a brick wall for a fairly long period and the his strengths and assets he brought to us were lacking leaving us with just the shell of a player we've seen over the last 6-12 months.
He continues to provide goals and assists until the end of the season and I'll be made up. His poor control and decision making will be forgiven and I'll wish him well on his future as I'm firmly in the camp now that a move is best for everyone.
That's where I'm at too. If he's scoring he's in the team regardless. I can ignore his poor control and passing cos we need goals and if he's supplying them then great and keep it up.

“Confirmation bias is the tendency to search for, interpret, favor, and recall information in a way that confirms or supports one's prior beliefs or values.

People display this bias when they select information that supports their views, ignoring contrary information, or when they interpret ambiguous evidence as supporting their existing attitudes. The effect is strongest for desired outcomes, for emotionally charged issues, and for deeply entrenched beliefs.”

Where on earth would I have got confirmation bias? He is a person whom I only know through his football and what I see on the field. No pre-conceived notions.

I laud him when he plays well (see my comments on his Everton performance) but also highlight his PERSISTENT shortfalls when I see them.

When he came here, he was young, exciting and direct. He chipped in with goals and looked to be a diamond in the rough. However, that diamond has not produced the brilliance it portended, and recently looked to be getting rougher, not more polished, in the City team.

I’m not sure what bias that illustrates. Am I racist? Do I just not like him? Have I read too much negative press and I’m just piling on?

What EXACTLY am I wrong about? How EXACTLY would I “murder City in a heartbeat”?

I don’t generally respond to baseless, emotional posts full of personal attacks without evidence…..Oh wait, that’s half of this Forum!…so EDUCATE ME, tell me what you’re seeing that I am missing.

Explain to me how his performances warrant a starting position when everyone is fit, and who he keeps out of this current team, and why.

It’s great to defend a player, but ACTUALLY defend him, don’t attack me.

I look forward to hearing about his great first touch, his technical qualities, his outstanding shooting, and his brilliant decision-making when on the ball. These are all traits I find lacking in him, so I look forward to you educating me and producing the evidence of these skills.

His best work is instinctive, like getting into positions to receive a pass…only to often fluff his lines from there, unless an instinctive finish is required, and even then he has a tendency to overthink it.

A perfect example is the difference between the one on one, from a cross/slotted pass against Everton. Instead of a first time shot/pass into the goal against Pickford, he tried to jink around him, and lost complete control of the ball before Pickford smothered it. Against PSG, the deflection through Jesus’ leg meant THE ONLY THING HE COULD DO was reach out and try to get a toe on the ball, which is exactly what he did!

Right place, right time, decisions to make: Lost control.

Right place, right time, no decision to make: GOAL!

Those are just two concrete examples from the last two games which illustrate exactly what I’m saying.

You can call that “confirmation bias” until you’re blue in the face, but I call it hard evidence of my position that he is technically inferior to every player with whom he is competing for a game, at present.

Is he better than Mahrez? Foden? Bernardo?

I didn’t even mention a fit Grealish, fit Torres or even Jesus?

There are SIX PLAYERS who play in similar positions that he has to beat out for a job.

Now, he could obviously play with a couple of them on the front line, but what of the other 4?

Yes, he has tapped in 3 in 3, which is great and long may it continue! But, my argument is that in a possession team, the low percentage “flick around the corner” when attacking is a killer “pass.” For comparison, Bernardo (who played as a false nine presser) had 47 passes last night, with 47 completions, not the least of which was a beautifully cushioned inside foot volley pass to Jesus for the winner! (Which was very similar to the one Sterling fluffed in the first half!)

That was our pressing center forward who ran himself into the ground last night, but he came up with that movement and volley pass with his tank 80% empty…decision-making and technical ability of the highest order!

THAT is the standard at City now, even for the bloody full backs, as evidenced by Walker’s flying airborne volley pass for the first goal!!!

Personally, I don’t think Sterlings game has progressed in the last 12-18 months, while the team has, which means his technical deficiencies and decision-making are being further exposed, even magnified.

Pep is called Fraudiola because people say he only goes to teams where he can spend a fortune on players. Yet, Pep himself readily admits he needs the most technically gifted players he can get to play the perfect football he tries to coach.

THAT is who we’re are now, and it has left Sterling behind through the lack of continued development. Palmer and MacAteer are being bloodied in the first team because of the very attributes I’m saying Sterling lacks. Accordingly, as their experience grows, I believe this will move him further down the pecking order, because Pep will TRUST THEM MORE to not give the ball away and have the technical ability to play the way he wants.

Horses for courses, as they say, and the City course isn’t suiting where Sterling currently is in his development, which I feel stalled, or at least has sputtered, over the last 12 months or so.

Now, refute me.

I don't need to defend Raheem Sterling, his statistics, matches played, goals scored,And number of international caps are sufficient evidence.

You use the phrase " tap ins " for goals scored by Raheem as if they count less than those players you favour.

On Wednesday you saw a "tap in " by Sterling. I saw a goal that was a portal of the philosophy of our coach. A brilliant run by Walker, superb weight of pass by Rodri, athleticsm again by Walker to cushion the ball, at the same time as Rodri passed Sterling anticipated the move and lost his marker moving into a goalscoring space, reacting to a slight deflection , changing feet to stretch and score. A vital, big goal.
You saw a "tap in" I saw a goal of beauty.

Most of our goals are from close to goal, that is the philosophy of the coach. We score over a hundred per season do you see them as tap ins or just those Sterling scores.

Elite premier league footballers have attributes which are superior to those below them, they do not need to share all the infinite types of skills, but they do portray a finite number to a high level.

You just cannot identify those which Sterling possesses, the managers at Liverpool, City , and England have.

Let's leave it there, and you can continue to expand on his lack of technique, and how lucky he must be to be in the right place for his next tap in.

I don't need to defend Raheem Sterling, his statistics, matches played, goals scored,And number of international caps are sufficient evidence.

You use the phrase " tap ins " for goals scored by Raheem as if they count less than those players you favour.

On Wednesday you saw a "tap in " by Sterling. I saw a goal that was a portal of the philosophy of our coach. A brilliant run by Walker, superb weight of pass by Rodri, athleticsm again by Walker to cushion the ball, at the same time as Rodri passed Sterling anticipated the move and lost his marker moving into a goalscoring space, reacting to a slight deflection , changing feet to stretch and score. A vital, big goal.
You saw a "tap in" I saw a goal of beauty.

Most of our goals are from close to goal, that is the philosophy of the coach. We score over a hundred per season do you see them as tap ins or just those Sterling scores.

Elite premier league footballers have attributes which are superior to those below them, they do not need to share all the infinite types of skills, but they do portray a finite number to a high level.

You just cannot identify those which Sterling possesses, the managers at Liverpool, City , and England have.

Let's leave it there, and you can continue to expand on his lack of technique, and how lucky he must be to be in the right place for his next tap in.
Lol, so many words to conclude a deflection and toe poke. :-)

Pep Guardiola on Raheem Sterling: "I'm so glad for him, it's helped us. He'll fight to do better. It's good for both wingers to score and get assists, he is decisive. He knows he can do better, one-v-one, but this is a step to come back in his best." [via
@_StephenKillen

Pep Guardiola: "I took him [Raheem Sterling] back to basics, when you're at this level, it's normal. This calendar, they have more and more games. Sometimes the guys are tired here [mentally]. It's so difficult, it's just physical, physical, physical..."

Pep Guardiola: "So demanding, a little bit low. Come back to basics. Step by step, basics will be enough when the confidence come back, you come back who you are. If one player plays well their ability doesn't go. Raheem is still the same guy." [via
@_StephenKillen

Pep Guardiola on Raheem Sterling: "You have highs and lows, it's important that the lows aren't too low. They want to perform well, we won #PL, I want to leave good. At the same time, relax. It doesn't depend on individual [success], it's the team..."
Shows why Pep improves so many players. His comments are highly empathetic to a player who has been struggling, but it's more than just words - you can see how systematic he is in diagnosing Raheem's problems and breaking them down into pieces the player the can work on. Amazing stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.