#7 | Raheem Sterling - 2021/22 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Glad to see the old Raheem back slowly. He will help us tremendously with our goal production.

I still think the best for everyone is to sell him in the summer. Foden and Harland/Vlahovic will be starters for sure, so we have 1/2 more offensive spot for: Grealish, Mahrez, KDB, Gundogan/ Bernardo Silva, Gabriel Jesus and even Palmer. And Sterling can get us a good 50-60 M necessary to get a DM and LB/RB.

Glad to see the old Raheem back slowly. He will help us tremendously with our goal production.

I still think the best for everyone is to sell him in the summer. Foden and Harland/Vlahovic will be starters for sure, so we have 1/2 more offensive spot for: Grealish, Mahrez, KDB, Gundogan/ Bernardo Silva, Gabriel Jesus and even Palmer. And Sterling can get us a good 50-60 M necessary to get a DM and LB/RB.
He's been back in good form for a good month or two and there's absolute crickets about a new deal. I think Raheem has made his mind up and as you say a move probably still likely in the summer, although hopefully with 10-15 mil added to the price tag.

Could be be quite a transformational 18 months tbh, Gundogan, Mahrez and Jesus all up in the air right now too.

What an absolute joy it is to see Raz producing again. He looks like a huge weight’s been lifted mentally - whether that’s been something football related or away from the game - I hope he can keep that smile. It’s been missing for too long.

I’ll happily admit that I didn’t expect Raz to find any semblance of form again in a blue shirt, and whilst he isn’t playing perfectly, I think we can all safely say he’s turned a corner. Sure we’ll still get errors, but when they’re balanced with assured finishes and quality build up, it’s easy to look past.

I might even let myself get excited next time he’s one on one!

Whether he stays and we reap the benefits, or this is his shop window bit, and he leaves for a fresh start - I’m just glad to see a guy looking like he’s enjoying his football, and producing the goods.

I think he gives 100% for us every time he puts that blue shirt on.
He won’t be here for longer than his contract though, you can see he’s ready for a change.

his body language reflects that he’s preparing everyone for a move, he doesn’t engage with fans anymore and barely celebrates his goals

Firstly I think it's bold to assume we'll get either Haaland or Vlahovic when we've needed a LB for about five seasons and not signed one in any of them. Needed a CB after Kompany left, didn't get one. Needed a forward last season, didn't get one. The club operates on a "wait until a player comes along who we can get for a decent fee but no other top club wants them" model, and I'm not complaining as it's worked out well so far, but I don't see us getting a striker in until we have a season where the lack of a striker leaves us well short of winning the league.

Second, of that list, almost all of them make more sense to let go than Sterling who's still fairly young and very productive.

Reading this thread though, I'd definitely want to leave if I was Sterling. 8 goals and an assist in the last ten games, and the best most of our fans can do is "he's back to being decent". If Foden put up these numbers I'm pretty sure we'd be declaring him the best player in the league.

Firstly I think it's bold to assume we'll get either Haaland or Vlahovic when we've needed a LB for about five seasons and not signed one in any of them. Needed a CB after Kompany left, didn't get one. Needed a forward last season, didn't get one. The club operates on a "wait until a player comes along who we can get for a decent fee but no other top club wants them" model, and I'm not complaining as it's worked out well so far, but I don't see us getting a striker in until we have a season where the lack of a striker leaves us well short of winning the league.

Second, of that list, almost all of them make more sense to let go than Sterling who's still fairly young and very productive.

Reading this thread though, I'd definitely want to leave if I was Sterling. 8 goals and an assist in the last ten games, and the best most of our fans can do is "he's back to being decent". If Foden put up these numbers I'm pretty sure we'd be declaring him the best player in the league.
If Foden puts those numbers + his insane dribbling ability, his great shooting everywhere, his great link-up play, his constant pressing, his great passing, of course he would be declared as the best player in the league. I am super glad for Sterling giving us these numbers, but the difference between a Bernardo or a Foden giving us these numbers and Sterling are HUGE. Sterling’s season are defined solely on the numbers he produces, because that’s where he excels, so the comparison you made is senseless.

I strongly prefer Silva, Gundogan, KDB over Sterling. We won’t be selling Grealish after one season, Mahrez wouldn’t give us as much money as Sterling. So to get money is either Gabriel Jesus or Sterling. If we have a great goal scorer, the best attribute from Sterling is less necessar, so I would prefer Jesus over Sterling too.

Of course, this is based on getting an elite goal scorer, if we don’t I would gladly keep Sterling.

If Foden puts those numbers + his insane dribbling ability, his great shooting everywhere, his great link-up play, his constant pressing, his great passing, of course he would be declared as the best player in the league. I am super glad for Sterling giving us these numbers, but the difference between a Bernardo or a Foden giving us these numbers and Sterling are HUGE. Sterling’s season are defined solely on the numbers he produces, because that’s where he excels, so the comparison you made is senseless.

I strongly prefer Silva, Gundogan, KDB over Sterling. We won’t be selling Grealish after one season, Mahrez wouldn’t give us as much money as Sterling. So to get money is either Gabriel Jesus or Sterling. If we have a great goal scorer, the best attribute from Sterling is less necessar, so I would prefer Jesus over Sterling too.

Of course, this is based on getting an elite goal scorer, if we don’t I would gladly keep Sterling.
We would be better of keeping sterling over jesus if we had to choose sterling has something none of our other wingers have and thats goals and lots of them. When a new striker comes in at best jesus is 2nd choice in middle possibly third or 4th if the fake 9 is still an option. On the wings hes probably 4th choice on the left and maybe second choice on the right. Jesus has never even hit more than 14 league goals in a season. I like jesus and think hes better out wide but if its straight choice between him and sterling its sterling everytime.

We don't need to sell in order to buy- if our finances weren't healthy enough to buy a striker without selling £60m Sterling, we would have been absolutely crazy to spend £100m on Grealish. If anyone has to make way for a new forward, which shouldn't be the case now Torres is gone, it should surely be Mahrez just due to his age, or Jesus due to the fact that he can't put a run of form together and isn't actually that much younger than Raheem.

I also think you're just plain wrong to say that Sterling is nowhere near as good as Foden at his all-round game. The clue is that if Pep thought Foden was anywhere near as good as some on here do, he wouldn't have spent over half of last season on the bench. We're talking about an extremely promising youngster here but one who, in terms of what he's actually done on the pitch so far, still has a lot to prove whereas Sterling's been a key part of two title-winning sides.

Sterling has had a poor turn of form - but he's coming round. Sterling will never be in the same class as Robben and will thus frustrate fans over and over - as the potential to be as good as Robben seems to be there.

At any rate - Sterling is Sterling - frustrating at times - but nonetheless one of the best wingers in world football. I'm glad he's in our side.

Sterling has had a poor turn of form - but he's coming round. Sterling will never be in the same class as Robben and will thus frustrate fans over and over - as the potential to be as good as Robben seems to be there.

At any rate - Sterling is Sterling - frustrating at times - but nonetheless one of the best wingers in world football. I'm glad he's in our side.
Although he may not be as naturally gifted as the likes of bale and robben he can keep up with them goals wise. I doubt either of them could score as many as sterling in this league as consistently as he does. Put him in la liga or bundesliga and he probably hits 30 league goals a season. Imo there are very few wingers if any that are better at making runs behind the defence he may look very awkward on the ball but he can be very effective.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.