75 years ago today (Hiroshima bomb)

Damn that was crazy

What is the reputation of the emperor who surrerender to the allies?

I actually don't know because I have never read a formal history of the Pacific War. I got far more interested in the literature and poetry of the medieval Heian period when I lived in Japan.

All I have done is watch movies and read novels to do with the time.

But there is actually a very good film which explores that very topic.

s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:
A nuclear war is a re occurring nightmare of mine, usually caught out in the open as the 15 minute warning sounds, my vehicle wont start cos of the emp thingy. Then, a mushroom way off in the distance and the horrible anticipation as you try to get to cover/home before one lands near, the confused thoughts of just wanting it to be quick and final conflicting with your survival instinct to try to protect yourself and maybe see your loved ones again, just terrifying. Films like "Threads" "when the wind blows"and "The Day After"and that information film which the government released didnt help during my youth, and stories of how close we actually came to oblivion. I saw something on tv once though which had military experts on,and they predicted that, in the event of a conventional military invasion of europe by the USSR during the cold war era, that they would sweep the allied forces aside, and be at the channel in just two weeks!!! I seriously beleive that it was only the threat of nuclear retaliation that prevented that scenario, as the Russians did invade/annex everyone they could get away with during that time. So maybe the bombs dropped on Japan havesaved the world from WW3 up to now at least.

Not much. Rape of Nanjing museum attracts huge crowds of Chinese visitors but they say only a few Japanese tourists go there. It gets slight treatment in Japanese history textbooks. I'd say the Japanese are less willing to confront this ugly part of their past than the Germans are with theirs - or the Americans or British, for that matter.
They also need to know about Unit 731

In the same way as the US took the German V2 scientists for their own (no questions asked), they did the same with the Japanese Unit 731 - immunity

Manchester played a big part in this.

With Dalton’s work on atomic theory and Rutherford splitting the atom, both in Manchester, their work would eventually lead to this day.

A very moving piece on BBC yesterday morning with an interview of a little old Japanese lady behind her antivirus mast. She survived the blast so she must have been in her 80s. She told how badly fellow Japanese treated her and others from Hiroshima because they thought they might be affected by radiation. No bitterness from her all she talked of was peace. The clip moved to the Peace Garden showing amongst others a scrap of a little girl praying intently.
Apart from that I have seem very little concerning the Anniversary of such a momentous event and its effect then and since.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.