#8 | Ilkay Gündoğan - 2020/21 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just glad he gets an extended period of time in any position, he's always at his best when he gets that.

Not at the majestic levels we've seen recently, that was never sustainable but still another excellent performance, just knits everything together even when he's not receiving the ball early enough and is getting it with one, sometimes two players right up his arse.

His most ardent supporters claimed he was a 6, and being forced to play 8 made him look worse because apparently it wasn't his best position. I'd take what they say with a grain of salt - they know nothing.

Gundogan seems to have turned this around by and large through a change of mentality and improved physical condition. He seems a lot more agile, more combative, more explosive. Here's hoping that it continues.
He was forced to play as a conservative CM in a double pivot because our defence was shit, that's when he played poorly, when he played as an 8 with licence to go forward he was fine, not as consistenly good as he's been lately but he was still good.

His most ardent supporters claimed he was a 6, and being forced to play 8 made him look worse because apparently it wasn't his best position. I'd take what they say with a grain of salt - they know nothing.

Gundogan seems to have turned this around by and large through a change of mentality and improved physical condition. He seems a lot more agile, more combative, more explosive. Here's hoping that it continues.
Oh rich coming from the guy who said this:

If you have a look at the small but noisy set of delusional fans on here who frequent his player performance threads and defend him 'til death, Pep's seemingly not the only one with a blind spot.

He's shite with no standout attributes and overall a hindrance to us. One in maybe five games he plays could be considered good.
Seriously... Speak less

He was forced to play as a conservative CM in a double pivot because our defence was shit, that's when he played poorly, when he played as an 8 with licence to go forward he was fine, not as consistenly good as he's been lately but he was still good.
Even still, he barely got an extended run because David was the starter, so then he'd play as a 6 again, then maybe on the right side for kevin and so on.

The key imo, is an extended period in any of these midfield positions, he got it in the 18/19 to the title when Dinho was out and now again, not a coincidence to me that these are his two best periods with us.

This is why:

His defensive midfield analysis starts about half way down.

From February to May in 2018-19, playing at #6, Ilkay was rated by Opta as the top player in Europe. He was ahead of two of the greatest footballers who have ever lived.

Until this season, Gundogan’s best performances for City were at #6.

Oh rich coming from the guy who said this:

Seriously... Speak less
I don't mean any offense to that user, I don't know him, but his hatred makes him say really stupid things and makes it seem like he has terrible football knowledge.

Like nobody is right about everything, we all will say something and if we are rational, can see comments and go "Hmm okay I see that, might be wrong here"

But when you have such blind hatred, people stick to these really stupid takes. It's unfortunate.

I don't mean any offense to that user, I don't know him, but his hatred makes him say really stupid things and makes it seem like he has terrible football knowledge.

Like nobody is right about everything, we all will say something and if we are rational, can see comments and go "Hmm okay I see that, might be wrong here"

But when you have such blind hatred, people stick to these really stupid takes. It's unfortunate.
I think his hatred of Gundogan stems in response to other posters being over zealous in criticism of Fernandinho in the past. Rodri has had similar too.

Aguero and Jesus have a funny little merry-go-'round too, where some people don't like Aguero due to criticism of Jesus and some don't like Jesus due to criticism of Aguero.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.