9/11 where were you?

Saddleworth2

Well-Known Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
14,441
I was in my office in Edinburgh and one of my team said that a small plane had hit the WTC. About 10 minutes later I was out in the main office and a TV screen was showing the scenes live. A group had formed watching the thing unfold. I was finding it difficult to process just what we were watching other than how seismic this was likely to be for the world. I remember watching my colleagues faces and the place was silent. Its stuck in my memory like very few other life events. So many deaths, so many people impacted directly, so much heroism.

We visited the site on a trip to New York some years later and the small memorial facility that had been set up, although the place had been cleaned up years ago the size of the hole that remained still beggared belief. It was a very sombre experience.

Best wishes to any poster on here that found yesterday particularly difficult. Thoughts and love to all those across the world that were directly impacted by that fucking awful day.
 

bluemc1

Well-Known Member
Joined
4 Oct 2012
Messages
5,875
Just me and the boss working on a building job and heard first plane hit on radio, I wasn’t even sure which building the World Trade Center was, I thought it would just be a 2 seater private plane or something, then we heard about the next tower and I was pretty sure which building they were then as I could picture the skyline
I had to go builders yard and in the van driving there the radio reported another plane has been hijacked and is heading for the White House
I honestly thought world world 3 was starting
 

Octavian

Well-Known Member
Joined
22 Aug 2021
Messages
730
Team supported
Manchester City
Just me and the boss working on a building job and heard first plane hit on radio, I wasn’t even sure which building the World Trade Center was, I thought it would just be a 2 seater private plane or something, then we heard about the next tower and I was pretty sure which building they were then as I could picture the skyline
I had to go builders yard and in the van driving there the radio reported another plane has been hijacked and is heading for the White House
I honestly thought world world 3 was starting
Somewhat naive, I thought it was an attack by another country, like Pearl Harbour, it just seemed too big of an attack to hit the heart of America, for it to come from terrorists.

Obviously I was wrong but all sorts of thoughts were racing through my head.

I still can’t really get my head around it happening.
 

Kakhaber The Great

Well-Known Member
Joined
7 Jan 2018
Messages
1,140
Location
Cumbria
Team supported
The Grealish Goulash XI
Either you won’t or can’t see what my point is.
If you feel the need to shoehorn Ronaldo into a thread concerning the deaths of almost 3000 people in a terrorist attack (and thousands more in the 20 years since due to toxic dust inhalation) then you have already surrendered the point, whatever it was, you were trying to make.
 

urban genie

Well-Known Member
Joined
11 May 2008
Messages
23,017
I see it, which is why I still think you're a ****.

Playing devils advocate to his posts, which to be clear I disagree with

A week after I was in Singapore and as the UK and US press were dominated by it, it wasn't even news, 2 days after I was in Thaialnd, the only news on Islamic terrorism was the insurgents on the malaysian border.

To put it plainly what happens in America and europe is irrelevant in most of the world unless it directly affects them.

Europe, north American and the Middle sEast take up less than 30% of the worlds population, and tbh the other 70%are not interested in what goes on in America , europe or the middle east unless it affects them.

Though to us it seems insulting to hear apathy about terrorism towards the west in all honesty over two thirds of the world don't care as it isn't their issue.


Sounds insensitive and harsh I know and not my personal opinion on it , but taking emotion out to understand why some comment as they do
 
Last edited:

Don't have an account?

Register now!
Top
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.