90 Year old gets 2 years suspended for killing 2 women in a motor accident

Whilst I agree about older drivers having to prove they are capable of driving safely, I don't think sending a 90 year old to prison would serve much purpose, especially as he looks after his wife of 65 years who has alzheimers.

Stop him driving obviously.

Agreed.

Whilst it must be hard for the family of the victims I don't think a media witch hunt against this man, and by default his family is appropriate. The MEN have told everybody where he and his elderly wife live at for fuck sake. He shouldn't have been driving and he's made a mistake, he'll have to live with it for the rest of his life. For what it's worth, he's never had any criminal offences prior to this 'accident'. Not much help to the family of the victims I know.

Whilst I agree about older drivers having to prove they are capable of driving safely, I don't think sending a 90 year old to prison would serve much purpose, especially as he looks after his wife of 65 years who has alzheimers.

Stop him driving obviously.

It would serve no purpose sending down a 90 year old bloke. I know the family of the deceased would not agree, as they will see it dufferently, but he's not a criminal. He's a very old man who made a monumental error of judgement in thinking he was still capable of getting behind the wheel of a car. It would have been awful for him doing a stretch in somewhere like the Bank and his poor wife who was in poor health would have suffered too.

As soon as you hit 75 you should be re tested on reactions and eyesight and any whiff of the person not having full control their licence withdrawn. DVLA should spend a bit less time worrying about road tax and deal with tragedies that are consequential as a result of drivers of a certain age.

As another who had to take the hard decision to prevent my dad driving, i agree with most of what people have posted particularly with regard to the efficacy of a prison sentence.

As regards re-testing of certain age groups, I'd like to see the comparative incidence of fatal or injurious accidents for drivers between the ages of 17-22 and those between 70-75 before introducing compulsory re-tests.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.