A bit tired of the rip on diving

Dax777

I have noticed that diving is particularly looked down upon by strictly prem fans. They make it sound like it is some disgraceful thing to football. While I agree it is crap and should be discouraged. It is no different than hard fouls that are meant to send a message. Something that most strictly Prem following fans applaud.

Grabbing, excessive hard tackling e.t.c. are all a blithe on the beautiful game. They are no less despicable than diving. Mata of fact, diving was to an extent a counter-reaction to dirty football. So some of you need to stop with all the "this is a disgrace to football crap."

They are all cheating tools in the game, and should be equally pilloried or ignored. I get pissed when I here English commentators see a guy go in excessively and barely excapes a card, and they say with a wry smile "oh he is an experienced lad, he knew what he was doing." But then they see a guy dive and the reaction is revulsion and a stern condemnation.

Diving is the cheating tool of the talented, and bullish tackling the cheating tool of the physical. Neither is any more deplorable than the other, and we should stop pretending one is.

Dax777 said:
I have noticed that diving is particularly looked down upon by strictly prem fans. They make it sound like it is some disgraceful thing to football. While I agree it is crap and should be discouraged. It is no different than hard fouls that are meant to send a message. Something that most strictly Prem following fans applaud.

Grabbing, excessive hard tackling e.t.c. are all a blithe on the beautiful game. They are no less despicable than diving. Mata of fact, diving was to an extent a counter-reaction to dirty football. So some of you need to stop with all the "this is a disgrace to football crap."

They are all cheating tools in the game, and should be equally pilloried or ignored. I get pissed when I here English commentators see a guy go in excessively and barely excapes a card, and they say with a wry smile "oh he is an experienced lad, he knew what he was doing." But then they see a guy dive and the reaction is revulsion and a stern condemnation.

Diving is the cheating tool of the talented, and bullish tackling the cheating tool of the physical. Neither is any more deplorable than the other, and we should stop pretending one is.

Bollox... hard tackles are done by men, diving is done by pussies.. huge difference.

blumoonrises said:
Dax777 said:

Bollox... hard tackles are done by men, diving is done by pussies.. huge difference.
Hard tackles are done by talentless hacks, diving is how talented players get back at the hacks.

Dax777 said:
blumoonrises said:
Hard tackles are done by talentless hacks, diving is how talented players get back at the hacks.

So a player who tackles hard is talentless..? you pussy, you've clearly never played the game.

Dax777 said:

A well thought-out and excellent post!

blumoonrises said:
Dax777 said:

So a player who tackles hard is talentless..? you pussy, you've clearly never played the game.

Kevin Muscat and Lee Cattermole are just thugs stealing a living as a pro. They are talentless, and do not belong on a football pitch.
But on the flipside, there are players who tackle with force but are fantastic players. People like Nige and Roy Keane are brilliant players, but like a good crunching tackle. As long as it is within the laws of the game, i.e. contact with the ball, then I see no problem. As a winger, I have been the subject of loads of hard tackles. I just get up and play on, a hard tackle is part of the game.

I don't see hard tackling and diving as the same thing, as a bad tackle gets punished and is easy to spot. But divers get away with it frequently.

Dax777 said:

The thing is, diving is seen as "conning" the referee, if it succeeds. There isn't the same dishonesty in a bad tackle, and bad tackles are often accidental. You don't 'accidentally' dive ten foot, then look back at the referee with your hands in the air, screaming for a foul. The punishments for bad tackles are also a lot worse.

And you're right; it's mainly fans in this country that are most against diving and theatrical behaviour, but that's because in many other nations it's just seen as part and parcel of the footballing culture. That's not the same over here.

Certainly not a good aspect to the game and not to be encouraged but I do find the holier than thou attitude of prem fans fairly comical, as if it's something only dirty jonny foreigner would do, funnily enough whenever I think of premier league divers the first to spring to mind are wooney and gerrard.

I don't even really care. I don't like it but I'm just like let them play their game how they want it.

We as humans always have to have an opinion. Diving is cheap, but fuck it. If that's how they play their game in other countries (they think theatrics are a part of football), fuck typical British imperialistic controlling mindsets (haha lol jk) and let them play THEIR game and well play ours.

Although many are SUPER cheats like Iniesta, many get tagged for diving when all they did was exaggerate an ACTUAL foul. If you're fouled and shit your team needs a free kick or something, I don't care If you exaggerate something because whoever fouled you DID break the rules.

...And then there's some who dive without being touched. Iniesta.

jjeangi said:
I don't even really care. I don't like it but I'm just like let them play their game how they want it.

We as humans always have to have an opinion. Diving is cheap, but fuck it. If that's how they play their game in other countries (they think theatrics are a part of football), fuck typical British imperialistic controlling mindsets (haha lol jk) and let them play THEIR game and well play ours.

Although many are SUPER cheats like Iniesta, many get tagged for diving when all they did was exaggerate an ACTUAL foul. If you're fouled and shit your team needs a free kick or something, I don't care If you exaggerate something because whoever fouled you DID break the rules.

...And then there's some who dive without being touched. Iniesta.

Iniesta? probably 1000 players that are worse.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.