A bit tired of the rip on diving

nashark said:
I take it from your post that you are not English or Northern European for that matter?

It's a cultural thing. Without getting into politics or history, in Northern European (especially in Britain) culture, honesty and integrity are valued very high. I would say they are less valued in Southern Europe. The Spanish, Italians, Portuguese, most of the French have always come across a bit deviant to me, and I think that translates into football.

Unnecessarily diving, much more than a strong challenge (which there's nothing wrong with by the way) is anything but honest, and takes away a lot of integrity. When you do it, it's not to stop the opponent, it's to get him sent off.

Fans in Northern Europe treasure those who are reliable, passionate and hard-working. I'd say that's why England and Germany have done well on the international stage, despite the fact that they don't have the most talented players.

I also think it's one of the reasons why the press are getting excited over Jack Wilshere. Couple his talent with an English mentality, and I think you could have a great player on your hands.

It's getting late now, and I can't be arsed making any more points, but yes, diving is sly and not befitting of this culture.

P.S. Obviously, there are exceptions to the stereotypes.
I am English..? I moved to the states though.<br /><br />-- Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:18 pm --<br /><br />
ROCKET80 said:
Mind Games

Take the tough tackling midfield general, loves a tough challenge on a classy winger "to let them know he's there" and that they are in for a physical afternoon and get 'inside his head'.....this guy always goes in hard and the majority of the time fair but every now and then can be rash or late.

Take the classy winger, dangerous on the ball loves running with it at and past his opponents. He is wary of the tough challenges/rough treatment that is dished out to him and combats this by being melodramatic when fouled or slightly caught/put off balance ensuring a caution or word of warning from the ref to his opponent therefore 'getting in his head' so he thinks twice before going in for challenge like that again.

Both of these players are aware of it and they both know the other is not going to change the way they play and as both are trying to take away their opponents main threat.....it's all part of the mind games that is football....I love it and wouldn't change it for a thing.

However, exceptions such as blatent horrific challenges (Keane) and blatent 'simulation' (Gerrard/Eduardo)should not go unpunished.
Omg! Deja Vu. I swear I've heard this before.

Gar said:
Every team has divers, every team hates when players on the other team dives. That's the reality of it and there's not much anyone can do.

Use video footage after the match to issue a one game ban to anyone who falls to the ground and claims for a foul without good reason. A system like that would have to be used judiciously in both senses of the word.<br /><br />-- Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:24 am --<br /><br />
jjeangi said:
I am English..? I moved to the states though.

I meant the op.

Diving is the worst thing in the game, fuck all to do with hard tackles. It's just a ploy to get players booked or gain an advantage. The majority of diving fuckers actually force their leg into a position that looks like they have been fouled, it doesn't get much worse than that. Tackling is for men, diving is for wankers

A hard tackle is legal, diving isn't! Simples!

Now, ILLEGAL AND HARD tackles can end careers and should be treated accordingly. However, there HAS TO be a place in the game for a hard tackle or we may as well fold the tent and declare cheating Spanish wankers the winners!!

Diving should ONLY be given a yellow card if the ref is ABSOLUTELY SURE during the game, but video evidence should be used to provide yellow cards thereafter.

Additionally, CONTACT IS NOT A FOUL!! Football USED TO BE a contact sport, but I am SICK TO DEATH of commentators and pundits who actually played the game saying, "he went down easy, but there WAS contact!" Big fuckin' deal!! WAS IT A FOUL?!!!

Kompany caught the foot of Roberts in the box against B'Burn and he went down. It wasn't a foul, but the super slo-mo showed the contact and suddenly the DIVE is OK, "because there was contact!" It is making a mockery of the game!

Also, while we are on one of my pet peeves, my other one is shirt pulling! Start awarding some penalties and red cards from corners and free kicks and it will stop in a hurry. ABSOLUTELY NO REASON to be grabbing a handful of shirt in the box UNLESS you are stopping a player from trying to score a goal! O'Shea did it to Balotelli at Wembley, clear as day, right in front of the ref....NOTHING!

Rant over.....for now!

ChicagoBlue said:
Also, while we are on one of my pet peeves, my other one is shirt pulling! Start awarding some penalties and red cards from corners and free kicks and it will stop in a hurry. ABSOLUTELY NO REASON to be grabbing a handful of shirt in the box UNLESS you are stopping a player from trying to score a goal! O'Shea did it to Balotelli at Wembley, clear as day, right in front of the ref....NOTHING!

Rant over.....for now!

Although mostly defenders doing this forwards aren't immune to shirt tugging of defenders when trying to get past them and it does happen all over the pitch.

Thing is - there is such an easy fix to shirt tugging.

Make players shirts only held on by velcro (or something like that) from the just above the nipple area around the chest with a similar line down the back. Any tugging above that level is relatively easy to spot that's why the tuggers grab the bottom of the shirt. You could probably even do it with a thin line of single thread stitching.

Anyone shirt grabbing just gets left with a handful of shirt rags and it's pretty damn obvious what he's done. Worst case, the player just runs off leaving the shirt tugger with a handful of shirt rags, best case is a penalty, foul, nailed on yellow or red card for the offender.

Obviously any kits for sale to the fans would be properly stitched.

Shawcross is a bigman apparently.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NYOvi_TgJM[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGerwgg9SFc&feature=player_embedded#at=44[/youtube]

Hard tackles break peoples legs, that's why they ARE NOT legal in the game.

Muppets.

Ranting about diving? One answer...

Sir Francis Lee ... now there was an artist. He'd "get fouled" on the half-way line and land in the box. Oh, how we chortled on the terraces. We'd polish off our piping hot Bovril so we could jump with glee when he netted the ensuing penalty.
Lee 1 pen. That Chinaman sure could play.

It's always gone on - get over it!

Well timed tackles, hard or not, are great to see in the game. Diving is pathetic and low, cheating to get a fellow professional sent off is dirty.

PSmyth07 said:
Well timed tackles, hard or not, are great to see in the game. Diving is pathetic and low, cheating to get a fellow professional sent off is dirty.

Cheating is not definitive, what one person sees as intelligent football, might be cheating from someone else. I've read that in Italy diving and appealing for bookings isn't seen as cheating, because it's taught from child level, whereas over here, it's the opposite, and hard tackling and 'hardness' are seen as part of the game.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.