A debate - there are no answers

Spiros

In March 2010 I moved to America to work for an academy in New Jersey under a seasonal contract that saw me return in December 2010.

I've had a season ticket for some years with my Dad and we're in and around the 4700 point bracket.

In order to keep the ticket 'alive' and in our hands (as well as keeping the seat in the south stand) my Dad sold it for the duration of the 10/11 season to a friend of his who lives in Durham.

Since returning to the country I have had to sort myself out for games, getting tickets on other cards etc. and it's been alright. Been no problems for the cup games. And the guy doesn't go away so if I've wanted to do that it's not been a problem.

But now there's Wembley.............

On Saturday my Dad turns up and says his mate has booked a hotel for the two of them in Poncington-on-Smythe or wherever, for the cup game. At which point I realised that 'shit, looks like you're not going then.'

Now.

He has bought a season ticket. Which entitles him to watch home league matches. It's in my name obviously and he will be safe in the knowledge he will get his ticket on my name with points that I have earnt over the years.

But then again suppose he hadn't bought the season ticket....there would be no opportunity to purchase a ticket for the SF. My dad says his friend bought it 'for the season'.

This is the first time, other than the play-off final that I have had the chance to experience anything like this and it's looking decidedly dicey as to whether I'm going to make the game or not. 'Not' being the likely outcome. It would seem my Dad's mate has anticipated this dilemma and booked the hotel to manouvre himself into pole position. It also seems/feels like my Dad would rather go with his pal than me, which is the worst part if I'm honest. Especially as I took him to a world-cup quarter-final in Hamburg when I had two tickets, rather than offer them to a mate. And I was the one who got us tickets for the play-off final with a never-say-die attitude and 8 hours solid on the phone.

I was gobsmacked at first and a bit visibly miffed/confused. Then I resigned to the fact it's gonna be his mate that goes and not me. Then after a while my Dad said he felt guilty.

My questions are:

Who should really get the ticket?

How should I get myself one?

And how guilty should I make the relevant people feel?

Sorry if this is a bit self-indulgant, I'm very confused at the moment and need thoughts/opinions.

Spiros said:
In March 2010 I moved to America to work for an academy in New Jersey under a seasonal contract that saw me return in December 2010.

I've had a season ticket for some years with my Dad and we're in and around the 4700 point bracket.

In order to keep the ticket 'alive' and in our hands (as well as keeping the seat in the south stand) my Dad sold it for the duration of the 10/11 season to a friend of his who lives in Durham.

Since returning to the country I have had to sort myself out for games, getting tickets on other cards etc. and it's been alright. Been no problems for the cup games. And the guy doesn't go away so if I've wanted to do that it's not been a problem.

But now there's Wembley.............

On Saturday my Dad turns up and says his mate has booked a hotel for the two of them in Poncington-on-Smythe or wherever, for the cup game. At which point I realised that 'shit, looks like you're not going then.'

Now.

He has bought a season ticket. Which entitles him to watch home league matches. It's in my name obviously and he will be safe in the knowledge he will get his ticket on my name with points that I have earnt over the years.

But then again suppose he hadn't bought the season ticket....there would be no opportunity to purchase a ticket for the SF. My dad says his friend bought it 'for the season'.

This is the first time, other than the play-off final that I have had the chance to experience anything like this and it's looking decidedly dicey as to whether I'm going to make the game or not. 'Not' being the likely outcome. It would seem my Dad's mate has anticipated this dilemma and booked the hotel to manouvre himself into pole position. It also seems/feels like my Dad would rather go with his pal than me, which is the worst part if I'm honest. Especially as I took him to a world-cup quarter-final in Hamburg when I had two tickets, rather than offer them to a mate. And I was the one who got us tickets for the play-off final with a never-say-die attitude and 8 hours solid on the phone.

I was gobsmacked at first and a bit visibly miffed/confused. Then I resigned to the fact it's gonna be his mate that goes and not me. Then after a while my Dad said he felt guilty.

My questions are:

Who should really get the ticket?

How should I get myself one?

And how guilty should I make the relevant people feel?

Sorry if this is a bit self-indulgant, I'm very confused at the moment and need thoughts/opinions.
Spiros [ Έλλινας εισαι?]...Hard to know the answer without understanding the relationship you have with your father BUT from the facts you gave it would appear there has been a lot of self interest here.
If it was me i'd fel dissapointed and let my dad know but ultimately i'd let him make his decision and let him live with it and any guilt he feels...Seems you helped your dad out in various ways and when you rightly expect a favour in return he has made sure he benefits from the situation at the expense of you....
I would tell him to have a great time, and you'll find your own ticket but that's just me. I like to see people for what they are in real life and your dad has already shown his hand already despite belatedly feeling guilty.
,Maybe not the answer you wanted but personally that's how i'd deal with it, unless your father came to you and said sorry son i fu**ed up, let's find a way to either go together or all 3 of you.

this sort of thing should have been discussed before you/your dad agreed to sell the ticket to your freind, it now seems like the sort of thing that could end the freidnship

in theory the ticket is yours and your freind couldnt argue should you want it back, however you clearly broke club rules by selling it on (even at face value) so if he were to bring it up with the club it they could potentially confiscate the card.

its a very tough situation for you as without the use of this card you'll find it hard to get an affordable ticket, and if we get to the final you'll have another problem!

if it was me i'd let him have the ticket for the semi but tell him i wanted it back for the final

hope you get it sorted

Hard one this. You decided to go and experience new shores and a new life in the States, which enabled your dads mate to go to the matches whilst you were away. You must have anticipated this could have happened?

On the other hand its you who put in most of the points in the first place, so....

I think i'll go with you on this one. I would be asking for the ticket on the basis that you have put years and fortunes into amassing those loyalty points, therefore you should be the one to go. Also, if I was in your dads mates shoes it wouldn't even have been an issue, I would have insisted you have it so he's a bit out of order there in my opinion.

Good luck!

in order to keep your points up this friend of your dads kept your ticket going while you were away....he should go to wembley.

your dad bought himself a SC so he gets a ticket in his own right.

it sounds a bit tough but you have no right to the ticket since your dads mate was doing you a favour by keeping your ticket going this season.

you should try and get a ticket from some other way...maybe spend the 500 notes you saved on this years SC getting a wembley ticket via the club wembley system.

if not then watch it on tv and be happy in the knowledge that this is the first of many wembley visits in years to come...

Im with your dads mate on this one, maybe because I have been in a similar situation myself. I took on my mates, brothers season ticket the other year and then when it came to derby day he wanted his ticket back, he firstly got told where to go by me and then told where to go by his mother. I had been paying for it all season so why should I get shafted?

You may have amassed points in previous years but if it wasnt for your dads friend taking on the ticket this season you would have either had to give it up thus losing all points or paid a fortune for a ticket that wasnt going to be used. Your dads friend has done you a favour, he could quite easily have said "thanks but no thanks" to your ticket and sorted himself out with one in his own name!

I understand your frustration but for me your dads friend deserves the ticket!

I think you should have the ticket to be honest. He bought a season card which entitles him to go to home LEAGUE matches only. It is still your ticket and your Dad's mate has been lucky enough to get to all home games this season as I know several people that were unable to get season tickets this year and would have snapped your hand off for what you have offered him. The people on here saying he's done YOU a favour by taking your SC off your hands are wrong, you did him the favour by letting him have your seat. He has paid for league games only and as this is a cup match then I'm afraid he doesn't have a say!

The ticket isn't your dad's (or even yours) to sell. It's not transferable although the club will generally overlook the sale of tickets at face value.

I assume the ticket is in your name and registered to your address so it's yours to do with as you want for cup games. If someone else has bought a cup ticket using your seasoncard without your knowledge then I think you have every right to complain to the club and claim your Semi-Final ticket.

I had three season tickets in my name at Maine Road and Eastlands for many years, mine, my mate's and my son's and if one of us couldn't make a game then friends or family would use the ticket unless of course it was a big game and invariably the three of us would be there. The three of us had some brilliant days/nights at City and some not so great but enjoyed each other's company and friendship/banter at games and in the pub before and after the game. However, if it came to a situation like the one above, regardless of who or why someone's been to more games than somebody else. I know who I would rather have next to me watching City v United at Wembley, no contest!

It's a disgrace and I've never heard the like of it, he's your father for fuck's sake and your his son!

I hope he has an account on Bluemoon and is reading this and hanging his head in shame.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.