A heavily watered pitch?

nixmith2

I have just heard this phrase on the commentary for tonights game and it has got me wondering....

Why is it better for a highly skilled (i.e. expensive!) team like ours to play on a slick pitch?

Back in the day, a damp pitch would usually favour the lower league team - I'm confused.

Can anyone more knowledgeable than me, explain this?

It also helps when opposition is awarded a penalty and their taker slips and touches the ball twice

watered and quick, not waterlogged. If you've ever experienced playing on a slick pitch, it's fucking hard and suits the better players with good 1st touch (and the attacking team)

I have just heard this phrase on the commentary for tonights game and it has got me wondering....

Why is it better for a highly skilled (i.e. expensive!) team like ours to play on a slick pitch?

Back in the day, a damp pitch would usually favour the lower league team - I'm confused.

Can anyone more knowledgeable than me, explain this?
In the old days a damp pitch would most likely be a muddy pitch meaning the ball would stick and not favour the better passing team. With the modern hybrid pitches and better drainage you rarely see muddy pitches at the top level.

I played at the Etihad in a charity game
The pitch wasn't watered and it was incredibly sticky
We came out for the second half and it had rained a little. The difference of how quick the rain had made the surface was incredible

Saying that, even playing at somewhere like Power League I would rather have played on a wet surface where you can really ping the ball about

Slick passing is all very well and good but doesn't count for much if it's not done with pace and our lot as so bloody slow in build up at times they'd be as well not bothering watering the pitch. Hopefully this part of our play will be addressed next season.......

what worries me is when you see so many players slipping and therefore potentially injuring themselves. the FA Cup match at Boro was very noticeable but they may have have put 'extra' water on, problem i see is when we water it at half time while it is raining although to be fair our pitch seems to drain very quickly.

Plus Sane keeps falling over because it is so wet :) although from next season he may need to be more careful.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.