A level results

Did you get to do any actual field work or did you not lean that way?
Not really. Everything seems to be textually based. That said, one of my favourite essays I did at university was based on Islamic coins in Iran during a twenty year period (however, I only accessed them via an online database).

I think archaeology is a lot more practical. It's a shame that history students do not get to overlap, as from a personal perspective, I have come to appreciate the 'physical' evidence a lot more as my degree progressed.

The threads about someone getting to Uni with an F.

Congrats on the 2:1.

What are you doing next? Still more education? Or stepping away altogether? What did you do your final thesis on?
Hilariously she actually said “she’d got ENOUGH to get into university” not an F. I’d imagine the OP will be rushing to correct the thread title as soon as possible......

Just watched 3 pupils open results live on sky. One girl with a beaming smile declaring to the camera how happy she is with her "F" as it gets her into University.

WTF? Is this where we are at now in society that a "F" is seen as a success and pass and makes someone suitable to go into a degree course?

Are you sure that you heard her correctly?

The new generation of A levels are graded A to E. The next grade below that is a U grade.

So the F grade does not exist as far as I know.

40 yrs ago Leeds uni gave me the benefit of the doubt due to domestic circumstances . Today my son who has worked like a trooper and been one of the unlucky ones to be downgraded to a low grade hes never had before has been given his chance at York. So relieved but i cant get my head round todays events, his teachers here in Leeds were brilliant and that particularly includes 2 scouse lads who always encouraged all the kids with kindness. Now to find him somewhere to live!

Cheers Mike. It's one of those. History is one of those subjects where it is hard to gauge how you have done - merely because it is so subjective. Some of the work that I have thought has been my best has come back with some of my lowest marks and vice versa.

That said, I think there are definitely conversations to be had about the value that universities are putting into certain degrees. For instance, in my final year at York, I had six contact hours a week. Hard to feel valued, or that I am getting my money's worth, with that amount of provision.
I like history far more now than when l did it for A level. Studying different eras to those forced on us night have helped. Having girls in the same building did not help.
All water under the bridge for me. Youve got your whole life - go for it.

40 yrs ago Leeds uni gave me the benefit of the doubt due to domestic circumstances . Today my son who has worked like a trooper and been one of the unlucky ones to be downgraded to a low grade hes never had before has been given his chance at York. So relieved but i cant get my head round todays events, his teachers here in Leeds were brilliant and that particularly includes 2 scouse lads who always encouraged all the kids with kindness. Now to find him somewhere to live!
He'll enjoy York pal. Just graduated (well not officially, I'm waiting for the Zoom graduation at the end of this month) from York in June.

If you need any advice about colleges for accommodation, or anything else, give me a shout!

Not really. Everything seems to be textually based. That said, one of my favourite essays I did at university was based on Islamic coins in Iran during a twenty year period (however, I only accessed them via an online database).

I think archaeology is a lot more practical. It's a shame that history students do not get to overlap, as from a personal perspective, I have come to appreciate the 'physical' evidence a lot more as my degree progressed.

When I did mine back in the 80's, you could choose what era/ location of history to an extent which lead to mucking around at dig sites in the South West being the "proper" archaeologists skivvies. This was pre Time Team, where every professor came across as likable and charming, but it was a very much "them and us" even to the extent of one dig where we weren't allowed in the same bar as them.

It really helped with the history to see it all in situ.

I've had a look at courses available now and a lot of them include anthropology and are mainly set up for ancient European history.

It is a shambles to use mock results as actual grades, especially when pupils had no idea they would eventually be used due to Covid etc. I'm pretty certain we were told mocks were just to see where you were results wise, usually a past paper as well?

I remember our teachers harshly marked our mock exams to make us study harder for the real event. In addition the mock exams were before xmas IIRC and we hadn't completed the full syllabus.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.