A level results

As someone who never went to Uni because im from a generation where only the most gifted went, id be interested to hear what those of us with degrees and up think about being in the job market against people with similar qualifications they feel they have not had to work for in the same way they did?
I wish them all the best, tbh. If they’re willing to devote three years of their lives, and accrue in excess of £30k of debt in the process, to try and further their careers then good luck to them.

It is a bit daft if you can get in with a single F grade, but as someone else said, the lack of international students this year will free up more places that need to be filled.

I also had an acquaintance who believed his 3rd level degree from Birmingham University was worth the same as my 2:2 drinker's degree from MMU. My main regret was not working harder to be honest. Was on for a better grade and just ran out of steam and interest by the end.

I wish them all the best, tbh. If they’re willing to devote three years of their lives, and accrue in excess of £30k of debt in the process, to try and further their careers then good luck to them.

It is a bit daft if you can get in with a single F grade, but as someone else said, the lack of international students this year will free up more places that need to be filled.
I'm expecting a call from North Staffs Polytechnic about finishing my Computing degree they'll be that short of students.

Thanks to New Labour, anybody can get in to Uni. It's just a new economy which devalues a degree and raises false expectations for millennials installing a self entitled attitude once they "graduate".

I'd say doing an MA is now probably the equivalent of somebody pre 90s doing a degree.
Wanting 50% of kids to go to Uni was one of Blair's daftest ideas.
I went to a grammar school, left in the 5th year at 16, of the lads and
girls that stayed to sixth form, not even many of them went, it was only
around 3-5% that went, and even many of them didn't come out with top
degrees.

I don't think my life has been any worse for going to uni. I was quite young and naive and to be honest was never really serious about going but was advised that it would be the best option due to the 2009 financial situation. It basically kept me out of the job centre for a few years.

I was one of the last years to pay a lower fee but still find myself with a debt disproportionate to what I feel I got from it all. I do sometimes wonder if I would have been better off building up working experience for that few years but I don't really regret my choice.
I had to leave midway through my Uni due to circumstances out of my control, and get a job. As soon as i was earning, the pricks were taking money out of my paycheck (i think the threshold was lower back then) and obviously they were adding interest while they were at it. I only finished paying the loan about 2yrs ago, at the age of fucking 35, where i am finally making decent money in my career. Even then, they just sent me a letter saying that my loan was nearly repaid and suggested i call them to pay it off or they would just continue taking money from me (WTF?). All a massive scam and barely makes a difference unless you do really well.
We now have apprentices that start out of college in the company i work for, they get through their initial year and then have the option to be allowed to go to uni part time. The kid that worked for us out of college was earning and learning on the job, and then after 2 years he was going to uni for 1 day a week. I think he's been doing that for about 3 years now and told me he was nearly finished. Companies are learning their lessons, invest in the future and allow them to gain experience on the job, and reap the long term rewards. Out of that intake of apprentices, i would say they managed to keep 60-70% who are skilled enough in theory and practice.

The other thing to consider is that she may not even have been going for a Degree. Many Uni's offer HNC/HND qualifications which are between the level 3 A Level or BTEC qualifications and Degrees.

When I was in school they made you draft up applications for university, even when you had no intention of going. Instead of using the time to teach me about things I would have liked, bills, mortgages etc they tried to force me into applying just for the sake of it, until I argued so much they relented and let me crack on with my other work.

The state of some of the degrees they have these days is ridiculous and not worth the paper they are written on. I have mates who went to uni and then at 21 came out and just took jobs they could have got at 18.

When I was in school they made you draft up applications for university, even when you had no intention of going. Instead of using the time to teach me about things I would have liked, bills, mortgages etc they tried to force me into applying just for the sake of it, until I argued so much they relented and let me crack on with my other work.

The state of some of the degrees they have these days is ridiculous and not worth the paper they are written on. I have mates who went to uni and then at 21 came out and just took jobs they could have got at 18.

Someone somewhere has this weighty achievement under their belt:

Reactions: ell
If you are getting an F at this stage in your education you are clearly going to struggle in any sort of degree course

I can tell you never went to Uni! Uni is an absolute piss-take, easy ride compared to GCSE and A-levels.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.