A level results

Just spoke to my youngest who got his results a C and 2 Ds which he says is probably a bit low.

That said he is perfectly happy as he got an unconditional offer from Edge Hill anyway so he was not really worried about his results anyway.

Amusingly he also says he wont bother appealing or anything because in his own words he did fuck all work for them.

He does say that it will have fucked things up for quite a few and so it would seem its another addition to the ever growing list of Boris covid clusterfucks.

My youngest predicted his own grades and they matched the ones he received today, he's a happy bunny

I noticed the difference the BBC had in reporting this. When the same thing happened here they went in with tackity boots on the SNP. Fast forward to their beloved Tories in the same boat and, fuck me, it's not as vitriolic. Shower of bastards who used it to attack the whole gov up here, but, Boris the racists mob do the same and it's not as bad. I wonder what our tartan Tory bastards have to say today. Utter forelock tugging wankers that they are.
We expect it of the Tories mate. Scotland giving grades based on which school you are at, or what your circumstances is exactly what I would expect of an elitist system like ours. The SNP, on the otherhand, are always at pains to explain how different to the Tories they are. As with everyone in power sadly, once they get in, they all behave in pretty much the same way, no matter how much Nicola might protest and claim to be different.

Last edited:
Just watched 3 pupils open results live on sky. One girl with a beaming smile declaring to the camera how happy she is with her "F" as it gets her into University.

WTF? Is this where we are at now in society that a "F" is seen as a success and pass and makes someone suitable to go into a degree course?

University is now a business that will take anyone so long as they get their money.
I call total bullshit. As usual, no opportunity to impugn some group or other passes you by, especially the young. The young who were hugely disproportionately affected by the 2009 recession, who will be equally disproportionately affected by this latest recession and you post bollocks on here to try undermine them further. Do you get some kind of kick posting this rubbish and seeing how many people fall for it or do you actually believe that she said she was delighted with an F as it meant she could get into university (spoiler: it isn't)?

The threads about someone getting to Uni with an F.

Congrats on the 2:1.

What are you doing next? Still more education? Or stepping away altogether? What did you do your final thesis on?
Trying to get into a grad scheme in local government. I used to think I would stay in education, but I think I became burnt out by the end of it. Besides, an MA and PhD in History only really lead to academic positions (unlike say in STEM fields, which can be useful in finding jobs).

I ended up doing my dissertation on the perception of Venice in the works of two Byzantine historians around the time of the Fourth Crusade. Quite interesting, but I think I enjoyed my special subject on the first one hundred years of Islam more in the end.

Sorry Alex I am having the proverbial 'mare.
I just wanted to say well done and hard luck in equal measures.
I am sure that being so close to a A will be featured in any references from the Uni.
Cheers Mike. It's one of those. History is one of those subjects where it is hard to gauge how you have done - merely because it is so subjective. Some of the work that I have thought has been my best has come back with some of my lowest marks and vice versa.

That said, I think there are definitely conversations to be had about the value that universities are putting into certain degrees. For instance, in my final year at York, I had six contact hours a week. Hard to feel valued, or that I am getting my money's worth, with that amount of provision.

We expect it of the Tories mate. Scotland giving grades based on which school you are at, or what your circumstances is exactly what I would expect of an elitist system like ours. The SNP, on the otherhand, are always at pains to explain how different to the Tories they are. As with everyone in power sadly, once they get in, they all behave in pretty much the same way, no matter how much Nicola might protest and claim to be different.
I'm not arguing mistakes weren't made, my point us the reporting of them in tone from the BBC. They went full in to castigate the SNP, as indy figure hit 54%, then today the figures we were being vilified for are higher in England, yet the same attack on the Tories is ducking nowhere. Today our Tsrtan Tory wankers will need to answer to how they jumped on the anti SNP tirade, and keep quiet when their puppet masters in Westminster do even worse. That's my point. They think we are fucking stuo7d and this shows clearly how the BBC plays the role of anti Indy propaganda. They think they are helio g their unionist oaks, when in effect they expose themselves as the propaganda wing of the Tory bastards they are.

Grade inflation has become a real issue in the Russell Group Universities, making it very difficult to distinguish between the very best students and those that would have previously not made the cut.
It’s by no means the fault of the students, but rather politicians and the societal shift which requires everyone to be successful academically, rather than realising at a much earlier stage, probably before the age of 16, that some people are better suited to a vocational route.
It’s absolutely true that Universities are now just a business and that for people to leave without a good qualification is seen as unacceptable. When it comes to overseas students where they have paid significant sums of money, they expect to be given the very highest grades. I have seen this first hand after being a referee for a PhD thesis for a foreign student which was very poor quality and required major corrections throughout, but they were still awarded the PhD, even after making a complete mess of their viva.
Seen this myself. I did some of the masters units at manchester and there were kids on the software engineering courses from abroad who'd turned up and didn't know how to code, was pretty depressing. That said, the money they bring in allows tuition and research to be carried out that would otherwise wouldn't be possible.

As for the mess today, this is what happens when you elect complete fucking clowns to run a country, turns into a circus.

Trying to get into a grad scheme in local government. I used to think I would stay in education, but I think I became burnt out by the end of it. Besides, an MA and PhD in History only really lead to academic positions (unlike say in STEM fields, which can be useful in finding jobs).

I ended up doing my dissertation on the perception of Venice in the works of two Byzantine historians around the time of the Fourth Crusade. Quite interesting, but I think I enjoyed my special subject on the first one hundred years of Islam more in the end.
I'd have gone with Association Football in England before 1992.

Cheers Mike. It's one of those. History is one of those subjects where it is hard to gauge how you have done - merely because it is so subjective. Some of the work that I have thought has been my best has come back with some of my lowest marks and vice versa.

That said, I think there are definitely conversations to be had about the value that universities are putting into certain degrees. For instance, in my final year at York, I had six contact hours a week. Hard to feel valued, or that I am getting my money's worth, with that amount of provision.

Did you get to do any actual field work or did you not lean that way?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.