A new zoo in Trafford?

Zoos, unless solely for the breeding of endangered species that can be returned to the wild, which is seldom possible, should be banned. Locking up animals for people to gawp at is a fucking scandal. Close them all. Or at least do not replace animals for the wild and let them be fazed out.
Why do the endangered species need to be returned to the wild? Surely it would be better to preserve them in captivity than let them become extinct?

Why do the endangered species need to be returned to the wild? Surely it would be better to preserve them in captivity than let them become extinct?

The question is what fucking wild are we leaving them? I take your point but I think returning and protecting them needs to happen. It won’t, but I live in hope.

I like the plan. Build a zoo on greenbelt release land. It could be themed up to resemble a series of substantial detached houses with good gardens (to provide suitable amenity space for all of those endangered weevils, dodos and the like). Open the gates. Fail as a business. "Convert" the animals' accommodation to executive family homes, buy a small Carribean island. I'm in...

There used to be a petting zoo at Longford Park back in the day didn't there ? Then Longford house was demolished ? .. I lived in Stretford many years ago ... Kinda remember it from the summer pageant ? .. Amy one can confirm this ? I wanna say cruel wire nets and just birds ? Are those houses still there stunning properties now now I guess ... Not been back for many a years to longy park ? Running track stadium still there .. we did our summer school (Stretford Grammar) back in the day there was mental days

Hi Ant, when were you at Stretford Grammar? I was there 1964 to 1969

Zoos, unless solely for the breeding of endangered species that can be returned to the wild, which is seldom possible, should be banned. Locking up animals for people to gawp at is a fucking scandal. Close them all. Or at least do not replace animals for the wild and let them be fazed out.

Zoos as a profit seeking business, where it's not about the animal's welfare, will die out eventually I think.
Personally I can't see the good in the idea of rewilding, even for endangered species.. It makes no sense to put animals back into the darwinian hell hole (or whatever)
Breeding animals for 'their sake' is another idea I don't get, so we shouldn't do that either.

Zoos as a profit seeking business, where it's not about the animal's welfare, will die out eventually I think.
Personally I can't see the good in the idea of rewilding, even for endangered species.. It makes no sense to put animals back into the darwinian hell hole (or whatever)
Breeding animals for 'their sake' is another idea I don't get, so we shouldn't do that either.

Darwinian Hell hole? Do you mean their habitat?

Darwinian Hell hole? Do you mean their habitat?
Yes :) that's the word I was looking for. It's no good out there in the wild.. We shouldn't be encouraging or forcing breeding simply to put the cubs/kids/calfs or whatever back into a perilous situation when there is no need to.

I have been attacked by a number of creatures, numerous Dogs, a Monkey, a Parrot, Three bloody Cats, a Goat, a Herd of Cows, a Pig, a Squirrel, a Swan, a Baby Shark, a Boa Constrictor, and a Ferret, keep the bastard things locked up.

I visited Sea World where the Orcas went crazy and the trainers got out of that pool pretty rapid, then in another out door show they had to bring on a substitute Walrus, as the first choice decided he wasn't playing his part that day.

Years ago I went to Chester Zoo , saw some really sad looking big cats , and a magnificent Condor in a really small space it was a bit depressing, Keeping Animals in captivity
needs a big rethink, but seeing kids enjoying the experience and learning something , I'm conflicted. (and covered in scars).

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.