A Psychological theory......maybe

BLUEinTheUSA

Just been thinking about this.....

Our last 6 games have all been Sunday or Monday fixtures. Now some might say that playing later in the weekend is a benefit, as the team could be prepared knowing that, for instance, Liverpool have just lost and now we have a good chance to create more of a gap between them and us. BUT....

I think maybe this creates a bit more pressure on the players. I wonder if there might be some kind of adverse psychology at play here being that we are in effect playing "catchup" to the other teams with regard to results. Knowing that a win against Wigan would catapult us ahead of Spurs, or a win against Villa would've tied us with Manure (not sure of these exact scenarios, but something like that). We all know that psychological factors can effect how players play - Gareth Barry's performances at Villa and Birmingham, perhaps??...So, maybe this playing ahead of the results curve, so to speak, has a mentally adverse affect in the back of players minds before kickoff, because in essence, it creates more pressure knowing that not only are you expected to win, but you NEED to win in light of a rival team's defeat the previous day.

Coincidentally, our last 3pm Saturday kickoff was the home defeat against Arsenal back in September.

Thoughts?? And no, I am not a psychologist. :)

I think he needs to take the players to a training camp abroad so they can acclimatise to playing at 3pm Saturdays as its been ages :)-

If you look carefully you'll notice the grass was pointing the wrong way (the wind changed at half time ensuring it was against us for the entire 90 minutes), we didn't stand a chance.

BLUEinTheUSA said:

Our last 6 games have all been Sunday or Monday fixtures. Now some might say that playing later in the weekend is a benefit, as the team could be prepared knowing that, for instance, Liverpool have just lost and now we have a good chance to create more of a gap between them and us. BUT....

I think maybe this creates a bit more pressure on the players. I wonder if there might be some kind of adverse psychology at play here being that we are in effect playing "catchup" to the other teams with regard to results. Knowing that a win against Wigan would catapult us ahead of Spurs, or a win against Villa would've tied us with Manure (not sure of these exact scenarios, but something like that). We all know that psychological factors can effect how players play - Gareth Barry's performances at Villa and Birmingham, perhaps??...So, maybe this playing ahead of the results curve, so to speak, has a mentally adverse affect in the back of players minds before kickoff, because in essence, it creates more pressure knowing that not only are you expected to win, but you NEED to win in light of a rival team's defeat the previous day.

Coincidentally, our last 3pm Saturday kickoff was the home defeat against Arsenal back in September.

I absolutely believe there is something in this I think you have a very good point.

The last three games have also seen some dubious refereeing decisions - the disallowed goal against Fulham, the penalty for Brum which I thought was VERY harsh on Nigel - you could hardly call his handball 'deliberate' - and then the Tevez non penalty where their player did a dying swan act that took the focus away from Tevez being 'fouled' - yes he did make the most of it but I don't see how that differed from when Rooney 'won' the pen earlier in the season.

That's not even forgetting the infamous '7' minutes against the Rags and to a certain extent the Zabaleta sending off against Wigan. So in all the games where we've dropped points there have been crucial refereeing decisions against us and I think all this has to be taken into account when analysing our performance to date.

So all in all I do believe the authorities are making life as diffiicult as possible for us including adding psychological pressure by having us one game behind and playing the day after most of our competition.

Blue Mooner said:
BLUEinTheUSA said:

I absolutely believe there is something in this I think you have a very good point.

The last three games have also seen some dubious refereeing decisions - the disallowed goal against Fulham, the penalty for Brum which I thought was VERY harsh on Nigel - you could hardly call his handball 'deliberate' - and then the Tevez non penalty where their player did a dying swan act that took the focus away from Tevez being 'fouled' - yes he did make the most of it but I don't see how that differed from when Rooney 'won' the pen earlier in the season.

That's not even forgetting the infamous '7' minutes against the Rags and to a certain extent the Zabaleta sending off against Wigan. So in all the games where we've dropped points there have been crucial refereeing decisions against us and I think all this has to be taken into account when analysing our performance to date.

So all in all I do believe the authorities are making life as diffiicult as possible for us including adding psychological pressure by having us one game behind and playing the day after most of our competition.

http://www.theyareallouttogetus.com

I was expecting that ! It would have been better if you could have put together reasoned opinion why you believe it not to be true !

Blue Mooner said:
I was expecting that ! It would have been better if you could have put together reasoned opinion why you believe it not to be true !

only joking mate, i agree with you.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.