A stadium based on Maine Road

Gary James

Maine Road was the UK’s leading stadium when it opened in 1923. It was not ‘the Wembley of the north’ ad people claim as Wembley had an extremely poor reputation when it first opened. Instead City claimed Maine Rd was the English Hampden, as that stadium was perceived as the most important in the UK at that time. Of course, Maine Rd soon became the stadium everyone envied and within a year or so of Maine Rd opening City’s stadium soon became the model for others and - believe it or not - Murrayfield (the great Scottish rugby venue) was based on our old ground.

For Maine Rd’s centenary I’ve been posting a story or image a day counting down to the old place’s centenary and today’s post is about Murrayfield:

You can see all the other free posts at my site:

www.gjfootballarchive.com

The Sydney stadium where tomorrow’s women’s World Cup final will be looks a lot like the Etihad too.
Don’t forget, that was built for the 2000 Olympic Games, a Games that Manchester also bid for.

This was the stadium that was proposed for those Games in Manchester:

IMG_4156.jpeg
IMG_4155.jpeg

Would have held 80,000.

And it was scaled down for the 2002 Commonwealth Games and City.

Then the stadium in Sydney had a very similar deseign for the side stands (although extremely different behind both ends).

I wonder if the designs had some crossover with whoever ended up with the Games?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.