A trip down memory lane around Manchester....

I lived with my Grandmother for a time in the early 60s, we lived on Duncan road the house where she lived no longer stands, we used to walk down to the toy shop near the Anson on a Saturday, with the hope of buying something, I think it may be on one of the pictures, if it wasnt a toy shop it may have been a news agent which sold toys etc.
The Anson was a huge place we had many parties upstairs, most of our family weddings etc were held there.
There was a hybrid toyshop/household wares emporium just up from the Anson called “Joytown”, maybe that was the one

There's a centurys old ryhme suggesting the devil himself knew where he was flying over clayton cause of the smells ( i kid you not)...below the aniline and before the little bradford you'd likely see and smell dead horses...shop on bank st sold horse meat back in the day...

Talking of smells kingston in hyde had a particular nuance

I worked for a summer on a site rebuilding the sewage works on the outskirts of Hyde. That stank to high heaven on a hot day but it was nothing compared to the putrid, evil reek that came from that Smiths boneyard nearby

Was it horse-drawn ?
No, but a man with a red flag walked in front. He came in handy as the area around Barlow Moor Road was frequented by thieves, vagabonds, footpads and other ne'erdowells. They were members of the notorious 'trafford red gangs' who came out from Chorlton to cause trouble. We usually saw them off with help from our Guvnors.

No, but a man with a red flag walked in front. He came in handy as the area around Barlow Moor Road was frequented by thieves, vagabonds, footpads and other ne'erdowells. They were members of the notorious 'trafford red gangs' who came out from Chorlton to cause trouble. We usually saw them off with help from our Guvnors.
Apart from the red flag nothing has changed?

I also remember the old Church building at the top of Dickinson road where they filmed the original Top of the Pops, there was a 53 bus stop just to the side.
Also remember the Rag and Bone man with his pony and cart, that was also back in the 60s.

The original Smithfield Market in Manchester, that was an interesting place, the atmosphere early morning was great, lots of noise, and different smells, of all the different areas, we went to the fish market very early in the morning to get the best, about 5:30 normally, but the market was open much earlier, lots of characters, it was never the same when it moved. Remember when it closed for the last time, there were loads of stray cats which lived on the market, the owners allowed them because they would keep rats away. When it closed they asked people to take the cats, we took one with us, he lived for another 20 years, named him Holly.

Anyone remember Johna's whale that toured round the world in the 60's? It parked up in Prestwich on the area that is now the Longfield centre

11585306.jpg

Anyone remember Johna's whale that toured round the world in the 60's? It parked up in Prestwich on the area that is now the Longfield centre

View attachment 19606

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.