A Turning Point

For me the turning point was the fa cup semi.
We were improving but when they needed to win they normally did it whoever they were playing.
To beat them at Wembley in such a big game said we had arrived, we were now going to take them on as equals and they didn't like it/couldn't understand it.
The 1-6 at the swamp next year confirmed it but Wembley started it.

Totally agree with this. When we beat them at Wembley....they knew it was over.

I don't think we realise how well our club is run. Mancini was absolutely the 'right man at the right time', exactly what the club and, more importantly, the players needed at the time. Most clubs have a piss poor record of managerial appointments, ours since the takeover, have been incredible. Mancini was never going to be long term, his style is confrontational and generally that has a limited shelf life but his impact was huge. He brought that elusive 'winning mentality' with him, a touch of arrogance and no sign of the inferiority complex towards Man U and Ferguson that plagued most managers in the PL at that time. The atmosphere and the confidence in the club changed noticeably and that FA Cup semi-final definitely signaled a changing of the old order even down to Mario's cheeky wink!
Think Mancini was also what the fans needed for the reasons above. Coming from abroad he didnt have the inferiority complex of some domestic managers at that time. Will always be remembered for ending our trophy drought.

Last edited:
Mancini getting on camera walking down the steps at the Scaffolders Dream during the 6-1, pouting, nodding and smiling was the real turning point for me. Yes, robinho, the fa cup semi, Mancini squaring up to strawberry nose in the league cup, yaya, Merlin, aguero etc all contributed to that moment, but for me this was the moment everyone knew city had not just the belief but the swagger and sheer self confidence to say " yeah, we're Fu*king here, we don't give a f*ck what happened before, we're the future and now you all know this is what's happening from now on"

^
¦

Any excuse to post this I suppose too

mancini_2035028c.jpg

I think most of the instances mentioned were turning points. But the time it turned completely and absolutely was the game when they beat us 2-3 to postpone our title celebrations. I walked away from that result smiling at the fact that the result was their peak moment of the season - just like ours used to be whenever we beat them.
They had become small time ; revelling in a blip in our Centurion season. The tables had truly turned.

For me the turning point was the fa cup semi.
We were improving but when they needed to win they normally did it whoever they were playing.
To beat them at Wembley in such a big game said we had arrived, we were now going to take them on as equals and they didn't like it/couldn't understand it.
The 1-6 at the swamp next year confirmed it but Wembley started it.
Rio-Ferdinand-Mario-Balot-007.jpg

This image should be as iconic as Sergio celebrating.

The match after 1-6, it was QPR vs Chelsea, I think. And derby just finished when they were going to the pitch, camera n the players of both teams in the tunnel, Joe Barton, I think, asks someone what was the score, he tells him City won 6-1 and then the look at his face and wow on his lips.

Wembley opened peoples eyes but the 6-1 was the confirmation. The 6-1 will forever live with SAF for the rest of his life. Not only did we beat them 6-1 but it was at Old Trafford.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.