Abide with me

Great.

More operatic crap that no-one will hear because we'll be watching the pitch being covered in giant advertising sheets on the pitch and wondering if the pitch side flame machines are going to burn someone.

The FA have ruined the whole experience.

blue b4 the moon said:
Not my cup of tea music wise but will be better than Stacey Soloman.
Felt a bit strange when she was singing we are the champions before the final on the day united won the league.

Since when is "Abide with me" from an opera? It's a hymn, for God's sake (and I do mean for God's sake). It's a nice connection with the past, when the Cup Final was the high point of the season. I believe it was the King's favourite hymn. so it was performed to please him while he was there.
Whether it has any resonance to today's adolescent fans is doubtful, though. I would rather see tradition continued by a 3 o'clock kick-off. I doubt that the hymn will be treated with respect by a load of pissed-up spectaors.
But please don't call it opera,any more than "Viva Forever" is opera. ( Although West Ham crowds woud sing "Paolo di Canio" to the tune of "La Donna e Mobile" from Verdi's "Rigoletto". Perhaps they are more culturally aware in the East End.)
End of smart-arse chat.

Big Swifty said:
Since when is "Abide with me" from an opera? It's a hymn, for God's sake (and I do mean for God's sake). It's a nice connection with the past, when the Cup Final was the high point of the season. I believe it was the King's favourite hymn. so it was performed to please him while he was there.
Whether it has any resonance to today's adolescent fans is doubtful, though. I would rather see tradition continued by a 3 o'clock kick-off. I doubt that the hymn will be treated with respect by a load of pissed-up spectaors.
But please don't call it opera,any more than "Viva Forever" is opera. ( Although West Ham crowds woud sing "Paolo di Canio" to the tune of "La Donna e Mobile" from Verdi's "Rigoletto". Perhaps they are more culturally aware in the East End.)
End of smart-arse chat.

You obviously weren't there last time - or too drunk. It was very moving and sung by everyone that I could see.

The FA Cup is a huge event for ALL football supporters - not just the clubs involved in the final. Most cant be there (most of ours too) - and seeing and hearing the whole spectacle of the day on TV is special, and the closest most fans will get to experiencing it. Its why its regarded as the most important cup in the world by the football family.

So, why would anyone not want to add to that for them? I just dont get the arrogance of some of my fellow supporters. Let's raise the rafters and take part fully in a world wide spectacle and show everyone we know how to do it properly - exactly like we did at OT in the Munich match - no one knows what the future holds and we might not get there again.........it matters!

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxqylxfYyQM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxqylxfYyQM</a><br /><br />-- Fri May 03, 2013 4:29 pm --<br /><br /><a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxqylxfYyQM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxqylxfYyQM</a>

This from Wiki

Since the 1927 FA Cup Final between Arsenal and Cardiff City, the first and last verses of the hymn are traditionally sung at the FA Cup Final before the kick-off of the match, at around 2.45pm

We should be proud to sing it. Become part of the tradition.

bluesteve said:
This from Wiki

Since the 1927 FA Cup Final between Arsenal and Cardiff City, the first and last verses of the hymn are traditionally sung at the FA Cup Final before the kick-off of the match, at around 2.45pm

We should be proud to sing it. Become part of the tradition.
You reckon they will keep to tradition and sing it 2 and half hours before kick off?

Big Swifty said:
End of smart-arse chat.
Exactly, it's a hymn. That's why I shall be ignoring it.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.