Abide with me

davymcfc said:
bluesteve said:
This from Wiki

Since the 1927 FA Cup Final between Arsenal and Cardiff City, the first and last verses of the hymn are traditionally sung at the FA Cup Final before the kick-off of the match, at around 2.45pm

We should be proud to sing it. Become part of the tradition.
You reckon they will keep to tradition and sing it 2 and half hours before kick off?

Thats a great response.

However,I will be singing it in memory of an old friend no longer with us who I sang it with in 81,learned the words on the weeks running up to the game.

I remember my dad crying to it every cup final and now I do the same. Thats tradition. If Abide With Me dosent move you , you are either too young or too pissed. Cant wait to hear it at Wembley on the 11th, first time Ive been to a cup final since 1981 and I intend to enjoy every minute including Abide With Me

EricBrooksGhost said:
Dave Ewing's Back 'eader said:
jimmy2000 said:
ha ha us too!

Yer philistines! Eric Brook'll be turning in his grave (unless he were cremated!)
I continue walking the earth; serious point though we live in a secular society hence it has no place.

Well, yer 'secular society' must be the most miserable place on Earth. It's Cup Final tradition and I think it matters not one jot - it's a bloody great tune to sing at a footy match. I was in two minds whether or not to thump it out at Spotland this afternoon when the third went in!

Aguerrrooooooooooooooo! and Abide With Me are the only two things that bring me to tears instantaneously (spelling?) I will be blubbing like a little baby singing it at Wembley!

EricBrooksGhost said:
Yer philistines! Eric Brook'll be turning in his grave (unless he were cremated!)
I continue walking the earth; serious point though we live in a secular society hence it has no place.

Well, yer 'secular society' must be the most miserable place on Earth. It's Cup Final tradition and I think it matters not one jot - it's a bloody great tune to sing at a footy match. I was in two minds whether or not to thump it out at Spotland this afternoon when the third went in!
Question, how many of the "abide with me" crowd will be polishing their local vicar's organ come Sunday morning ?

EricBrooksGhost said:
bluesteve said:
We should be proud to sing it.
Why? It's a religious song; I would suggest it has no place at a football match, yes it's "tradition" and yes other football chants use religious tunes but a religious song should never be used at the foremost cup competition nor any other match.

Well I only become religious watching City so this very appropriate for me.

ONTHERUNWITHTHAKSIN said:
EricBrooksGhost said:
bluesteve said:
We should be proud to sing it.
Why? It's a religious song; I would suggest it has no place at a football match, yes it's "tradition" and yes other football chants use religious tunes but a religious song should never be used at the foremost cup competition nor any other match.

Well I only become religious watching City so this very appropriate for me.
Well sing bluemoon then

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.