Academy Pathway to the First Team

13/05/12

What are the hopes / expectations for next season and the foreseeable future?

Surely the time our academy bears fruit for our own team is close. We want to produce players for City - those who aren't quite there can make a profit and have careers elsewhere. Good on them. But the academy shouldn't be an income generator. We don't need it to be.

People will say 'it will take something exceptional to make it to this side'. Well Pep gave 22 La Masia players debuts in 4 years at arguably the greatest club side ever.

The debutants in the ‘Pep Team’

2008/09: Busquets, Thiago, Xavi Torres, Muniesa, Botía and Abraham

2009/10: Fontàs, Dos Santos, Soriano, Gai Assulin and Bartra

2010/11: Oriol Romeu, Sergi Gómez, Miño, Nolito, Montoya and Sergi Roberto

2011/12: Cuenca, Deulofeu, Rafinha, Tello and Riverola

The players in bold made more than ten appearences. Pedro made just 2 appearences under Rijkaard so his development we attribute to Pep. Jeffren Suarez made one appearence two years before Pep arrived and then played 33 times for Pep. He scored in the 5-0 win over Real Madrid.

Jeffren has made four transfers since leaving and now plays for Grasshoppers in Switzerland. Cuenca plays in Israel. Muniesa I believe was at Stoke. Rafinha joined Pep at Bayern.

Most of the list are not familiar names - yet they got the chance to play for the first team. They got to play with Messi, Xavi, Iniesta, Villa, Puyol, Alves etc.

So I don't buy the argument that you have to be exceptional just to get a look in. In fact I would say playing with top players makes it easier.

How did a guy who made 30 appearences in a season for Barcelona now play his trade in Israel at just 27?

I would answer because you can be carried by the real stars. Cuenca, Tello and co were fall back players. Fresh legs as subs or to fill a gap. Opponents focus on Messi and the big players. The kids can play without pressure and fear. How their careers pan out post Barca is a real reflection on their talent but your deficiencies can be masked for a bit of time. And academy players get the culture and run through brick walls. There is extra motivation to do well.

Pep has given 5 debuts at City. There are a few players who Pellegrini played in that Chelsea cup match who have featured under Pep. Brahim and Foden have played 10 games each.

I am a watcher of our youth team. I believe we ought to improve our pathway to the first team.

Do we need Mahrez when we already have KDB, Sane, Sterling and B Silva? Why not let Diaz progress more and give him more minutes. Mahrez would be a super expensive back up.

I mention Barcelona again - the greatest club team in my eyes - but an emphasis of youth. A conveyor belt of youth. There's was not a big squad yet they went deep in all competitions falling back on young players. Should that be our model? Rather than buying £30m players to backup £40m all over the field, we should fall back on our kids and let them develop into £30m players.

At Barca they have there b team which is where many of the academy players and Pep cut there teeth. This makes the path easier to bridge as the kids are playing competitive games.

At Barca they have there b team which is where many of the academy players and Pep cut there teeth. This makes the path easier to bridge as the kids are playing competitive games.

B teams have never taken part in competitive football here. It's only a modern talking point. In the past managers said if you're good enough you are old enough. Learn the knocks of the trade as you go.

B teams have never taken part in competitive football here. It's only a modern talking point. In the past managers said if you're good enough you are old enough. Learn the knocks of the trade as you go.
Unfortunately nowadays there very little reserve football other than the under 23s when you can play a couple of overage players. The only other option is to go on loan to another team, but that could be playing in a team that possible doesnt play the way city do. Thw likes of Diaz and Foden would get kicked all the time in the lower leagues. Now I dont expect them to get preferencial treatment, but just look at the treatment Diaz got at Cardiff in the F A cup.

Im not a fan of the academy system. Not so much the system itself but more so the exposure the young lads get to competative football.

I much prefered the reserve team system where , in our current situation, foden and diaz would be lining up regulary along side , say, Yaya , kompany coming back from injury, gundogan getting game time.
And competing against similar players in the opposition.

Now its just a leap from the ‘youth team’ straight to the 1st.
Read anyones book, david Whites for example, and they talk about progressing from the B team , to the A, then reserves and onto the first team.

Got to be better .... hasnt it?

They need the training on a day to day basis that comes from 1st team training and maybe loan football where they can get first team football which adds to the training effect and gives them the confidence that they belong.

I am hoping Diaz and Foden stay at City this season but fear one may go on loan.

There isn’t a pathway to the First Team.

The pressure on Pep (and other Prem Managers) to achieve success is probably the main factor.

Another issue IMHO is that in eras gone by, promising players could be introduced at full back or wide midfield without impacting on the spine if the team. The full back and wide midfield / attacker position out so pivota to our play that we have two top international players for each position.

Just gonna bump this as i feel now,more than ever,it's of relevance and warrants serious discussion/thought.

A series of factors are seeing members of our first team struggling for form and fitness,and Pep is lacking quality alternatives to address such.

So.....given the wealth of talent and optimism within the academy,why are we not promoting and utilising more of our kids?

We all know the names,IMO at least 3 of them could have had an impact yesterday.

There will never be a better time to go down this route.

Well Pep will not put Mahrez on the bench to give some game time to Jayden Braaf. Simple as that.

All I hope we can see Delap starting a game for City before next round of Carabao/FA Cup but that may not happen even with Kun/Jesus out injured as again Sterling, Mahrez, Foden will be played centrally most likely.

No striker in the first team squad, Delap should be given the chance, he may struggle with the responsibility but it will be a more valuable experience in the long run than a loan to some shit team and who's to say the lad won't smash the goals in.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.