Academy Sales Summer 2022

McfcK

Team supported
Manchester City
Feels like we’ve had more permanent moves of Academy players this season than any other summer in the Guardiola era, Edozie, Lavia, Egan Riley, Braaf, Bazunu, Gyabi with possibly Delap and others to follow. What do we think the reason is? Just a more proactive approach to handling the players maybe? Keeping McAtee and Palmer in the squad and anyone else on the fringes get them a really good permanent move with a buyback to not stunt their development? I’m not too sure

It may well be the fruition of the academy business model. We are now reaching the point in time that the best academy players, generally, have been developed over the ten years of the academy becoming a world-class operation: players that were 8 are now 18 and ready to make their mark. We have two choices: blood them for the first team or send them elsewhere, and the changes to the loan rules mean that sales with buy-back clauses become inevitable. Those who we think have a real chance will fall into that group. Those who are exceptional will be given their head. Those that we think won't make it will be sold. Then, the next group move up, U18 become the U23 team and the wheel turns. We are a world-class outfit and I suspect that this was the strategy all along; we were just waiting to have a crop of the absolute quality to make it happen.

It may well be the fruition of the academy business model. We are now reaching the point in time that the best academy players, generally, have been developed over the ten years of the academy becoming a world-class operation: players that were 8 are now 18 and ready to make their mark. We have two choices: blood them for the first team or send them elsewhere, and the changes to the loan rules mean that sales with buy-back clauses become inevitable. Those who we think have a real chance will fall into that group. Those who are exceptional will be given their head. Those that we think won't make it will be sold. Then, the next group move up, U18 become the U23 team and the wheel turns. We are a world-class outfit and I suspect that this was the strategy all along; we were just waiting to have a crop of the absolute quality to make it happen.
Yep I see what you’re saying, although the loan rules I don’t think are having any impact on it. They only relate to international loans, and all our deals have been done in England this year basically and last year we had a lot in England as well on loan.

Yep I see what you’re saying, although the loan rules I don’t think are having any impact on it. They only relate to international loans, and all our deals have been done in England this year basically and last year we had a lot in England as well on loan.
Yes, but what I mean is that the quality of the players is sufficient that they be sold on, for high value, with the chance to return, as distinct from the old loan system.

most of these guys simply dont want to just renew and hang around and hope to feature 60-90 minutes of Carabao a season. to be honest thats the best they can hope for and only if we get some real shit draw like League Two clubs in early rounds.

we plan to have 2x great players for each position, almost impossible to break through in a squad like that.

hard enough to keep them happy look at Jesus, Sterling leaving mainly due to lack of game time/more prominent role in our first 11. imagine a talented youth player taking away game time from them last season. they didnt fancy Mahrez, Foden taking away game time from them not some prospect from u21...

or if Lavia was thinking now with Dinho's retirement he can get there bit more often, boom Kalvin Phillips says hello.

most of these guys simply dont want to just renew and hang around and hope to feature 60-90 minutes of Carabao a season. to be honest thats the best they can hope for and only if we get some real shit draw like League Two clubs in early rounds.

we plan to have 2x great players for each position, almost impossible to break through in a squad like that.

hard enough to keep them happy look at Jesus, Sterling leaving mainly due to lack of game time/more prominent role in our first 11. imagine a talented youth player taking away game time from them last season. they didnt fancy Mahrez, Foden taking away game time from them not some prospect from u21...

or if Lavia was thinking now with Dinho's retirement he can get there bit more often, boom Kalvin Phillips says hello.
While that is true, Lavia is 18 and there are hardly any teenage players in the whole of the Premier League, that make regular appearances for their clubs, and definitely not in the PL.
It is a dilemma but we also know that only the true elite will make it with us. Of the academy players that have moved on, how many would you choose now to replace a member of our first team squad?

All of them

edit this was a reply to the post heading and not the post above lol

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.