Adam Johnson admits he may quit City???

Blue Haze

ADAM JOHNSON is desperate to make Manchester City the champions of England - the only problem is he cannot get on the pitch often enough to help it happen.

The winger has been a frustrated figure this season as a bit-part player in the club's title bid.

He is seen by critics as an example of Roberto Mancini's perceived caution.

The manager himself has hit out at Johnson claiming he has got carried away with the praise he has received over the past year and is NOT a top player.

Johnson just wants to play and if his chances continue to be restricted at City he knows he might have to do that somewhere else.

The forward, 23, said: "Every footballer has to think about it when the time comes.

"It is still early but I definitely would consider it."

Johnson made his comments the day after the disappointing goalless derby with Manchester United when he came on for the last 17 minutes.

It was a game crying out for Johnson, who was bought last January by Mancini in an £8million deal from Middlesbrough.

Johnson admitted: "It is disappointing when you are not playing from the start in games like that.

"I was itching to get on. I was dying to play from the start not just come on.

"The manager has to make decisions but I was gutted to be left out.

"With the players we have it will be a rotation but I am full of confidence and I just want to be playing.

"I have got to train and get on with it, nothing is going to change. I have to keep the right frame of mind and get in the team because I want to play for the national team as well."

Mancini believes Johnson has more effect as an impact substitute rather than a starter.

His performance in the 0-0 draw with Birmingham on Saturday seemed to back that theory.

But Johnson believes his form in 2009-2010 and the start of this campaign suggests he is much more than a supersub.

He said: "Last season and in games at the beginning of this season I was still having an impact when I started."

Advertisement

Johnson feels like a caged bird at the minute.

He wants to run free and entertain but Mancini has a system and a shape which requires discipline and does not accommodate someone who simply wants to roam.

Johnson said: "I like attacking, scoring goals and creating goals and pleasing the fans.

"When I play I just want to excite fans and give them something to watch."

Johnson modelled his game as a kid on David Ginola, who he used to watch train for Newcastle.

Ryan Giggs remains another hero of his.

The City ace added: "When I went to games I wanted to watch the attacking flair players.

"David Ginola and Ryan Giggs were heroes of mine.

"All my family supported Sunderland but I played for Newcastle from when I was 10 to 12 and Ginola and Faustino Asprilla were the players at that time. I used to go with my dad and watch them train.

"It was seeing Ginola play and Giggs that made me want to play like them.

"Giggs is a real crowd pleaser and fans adore him for how he plays and that inspired me to play the way I do."

Much has been made of Mancini's tactics which some believe are negative.

Johnson said: "A lot of the players are attacking-minded players and want to attack.

"But I think what has been important to the manager is getting the shape right and working on our defensive shape.

"It has been about not conceding goals first and keeping clean sheets and then maybe nicking one."

The Mancini way has got City to fourth in the league and still in with a crack of the title.

Johnson said: "We have got a lot left in us as well. We have not been playing great or attractive football but we are getting results.

"If we can stay in the pack until after Christmas who knows what we can do.

"Maybe we could win it. There is loads of football to be played we are not a million miles off the top.

"The top four are capable of beating each other and slipping up. We just have to keep winning games and if we are there or thereabouts we have a chance.

"We have definitely got to be pushing to stay where we are until after Christmas and then see what we are capable of doing."

Johnson still has some work to do to impress the boss. Mancini gave a stinging verdict on the winger on Friday.

The Italian said: "When you are young you read the newspapers and think 'I am the top, I am the top'.

"But Adam Johnson is a young player and doesn't understand the game very well.

"I think he can improve a lot more if he thinks more when he plays.

"He's a good player but he's just 23 years old, he's played 20 games in the Premier League and it's impossible to think of him now as a top player.

"For this, he must work, he must think, he must work for the team, not two dribbles, two crosses. In a top team you need more.

"If you're only doing two dribbles you can't be the best player on the pitch.

"You must do dribbling, score a goal, you must defend, you must help your team-mates. There is more expected of him."

Read more: <a class="postlink" href="http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/3229363/Adam-Johnsons-Manchester-City-quit-hint.html#ixzz15PmNE7Kv" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sp ... z15PmNE7Kv</a>

WTF? I know it's the Sun, but are these quotes real?

Fucking pathetic if he's driven to another club. This will be a real blow. Someone tell me this is a bollocks misquote.

fuck him. he isn't being driven to another club! the sniveling little woman is whining to the press to get his ego stroked and in the process he's feeding the media's spin against Mancini.

SELL THE PUNK. He'll be seen for the lackluster, over-hyped, under-achieving, arrogant twat he's already proven himself to be.

and he won't be missed. he'll be kicking himself this time next year

mancini is spot on there hes not a top player yet, not until he starts taking his chances , love him to bits but there is alot of competition at city and thats the way to find the truly great players, i players who will tak any opertunity to show that they are the best not whinge to the paper

Too much too soon. Never had to fight for playing time before, doesn't know how to handle it.

scenecreamer said:
fuck him. he isn't being driven to another club! the sniveling little woman is whining to the press to get his ego stroked and in the process he's feeding the media's spin against Mancini.

SELL THE PUNK. He'll be seen for the lackluster, over-hyped, under-achieving, arrogant twat he's already proven himself to be.

and he won't be missed. he'll be kicking himself this time next year

Don't mince your words. ;)

There was a time in football where if you were being benched you would strive to improve, nowadays it seems fashionable to threaten the club that you will leave... pathetic.

I don't see anything too crazy in that article. Seems like he's dying to help contribute. He'd be foolish to say he wouldn't keep his options open if/when the time came where he could move on.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.