Adam Johnson to Liverpool?

The point about his age is well made, but I think he's a little unlucky to be compared to such stellar talents in his position. Aguero, Nasri and Silva are amongst the most talented players in the world. They not only have the skills but immense footballing intelligence and, crucially experience. They have been playing with some of the world's best at every stage of their career.

In terms of outright technical ability, AJ would always be a step behind. BUt he's still very gifted. What he can do, what he needs to do, is learn how to play that game.

English 'flair' players are mishandled, misdirected. We say, we'll field 10 grafters and you go out on the wing... when you get the ball, just go for it and score. The Argentinians, Dutch, Italian, French and of course the Spanish have a different attitude to their most technically gifted players. They put them at the centre of the team, they play everything through them, instead of viewing them them as the end point. They train them to become team players, not in terms of their work rate and 'chasing back' (although that's rarely missing), but in the way they are always involved in optimising the general play, moving the opponent about, and in the way they are always looking to create magical play by combining with other players.

This is where AJ has problems. He lacks the decade or more of being schooled in good, team-oriented passing play that Silva and co take for granted. It's not like he lacks the vision or ability, he can play a superb through ball. But it's like he hasn't quite clicked that the work, the circulation in the final third, pulling around the opponent, creating angles and movement, it never ever stops. It's a task that require ninety five minutes of concentrated creativity. If you do it well you can create chances the whole game through. Just running at people is a hit and miss affair.

Not that I want to stop him from running at people, but I hope he works hard and unlocks some more of his potential as an all round 'final third' player'. With practise he ought to be able to do it very well, and with experience he ought to be able to learn when to switch from one mode to the other.

That's why I hate to read about him being unsettled. Really, is it just because the goals have dried up? Because fewer runs are coming off? This stuff always comes and goes. He has so much more to give, as long as he can resist the temptation to listen to the media's (and some of the fans') misguided ideas.

adrianr said:
bluecityste said:
Johnson IS NOT A HOT PROSPECT, he is exactly the same age as Nasri, one year OLDER than Aguero and three years older than Balotelli.

He will never be a topclass player, he is too slow and hasn't progressed enough over the past 12 months (unfortunately as liked him alot when he first signed) and if we can get anything over 21 million I think it would be good business for us....if its to a rival then obviously try and get a bit more.

I don't think he will go this summer though, due to English quota, but he won't be here this time next year.

Any player that cannot keep Walcot out of the national side on a consistent basis is not the way forward..

All spot on except the last line. The only reason Walcott keeps him out of the England squad is the same reason Glen Johnson keeps Micah Richards out; Sometimes Capello is just a fucking idiot.

He gets a lot of praise from fans of other clubs, and he'll probably score a few goals for us this season, but unless he really steps it up he's going to find sub and carling cup appearances the norm, shortly before being shipped out for a younger faster model.
Walcott gets goals, yes his general play is sh!t, but already 3 goals this season and 13 goals last season despite being out alot with injuries.

Johnson will leave next season because he's not gonna bench nasri or silva, and there will be teams coming in for him telling him he's better than a bench player

Arsene said:
adrianr said:
bluecityste said:
Johnson IS NOT A HOT PROSPECT, he is exactly the same age as Nasri, one year OLDER than Aguero and three years older than Balotelli.

He will never be a topclass player, he is too slow and hasn't progressed enough over the past 12 months (unfortunately as liked him alot when he first signed) and if we can get anything over 21 million I think it would be good business for us....if its to a rival then obviously try and get a bit more.

I don't think he will go this summer though, due to English quota, but he won't be here this time next year.

Any player that cannot keep Walcot out of the national side on a consistent basis is not the way forward..

All spot on except the last line. The only reason Walcott keeps him out of the England squad is the same reason Glen Johnson keeps Micah Richards out; Sometimes Capello is just a fucking idiot.

He gets a lot of praise from fans of other clubs, and he'll probably score a few goals for us this season, but unless he really steps it up he's going to find sub and carling cup appearances the norm, shortly before being shipped out for a younger faster model.
Walcott gets goals, yes his general play is sh!t, but already 3 goals this season and 13 goals last season despite being out alot with injuries.

Johnson will leave next season because he's not gonna bench nasri or silva, and there will be teams coming in for him telling him he's better than a bench player

I'm sure they have already told him. But it's not something he ought to listen to. There could be 60+ games this season.

Yes, he could start as a tricky one-man show for most premier league clubs.

But he could improve hugely at this club, get immense experience in the champions league... and win things along the way.

If he really put his mind to it, he could become England's missing link, a technical, creative, a versatile final third player with tricks and a fine short game, a complement to Ashley Young on the left, and (most importantly) able to create top class combination plays with Wilshire and Rooney.

Walcott will get the nod sometimes, of course, but in terms of footballing intelligence, he looks a busted flush. He'll always be the fast guy who gets most of his goals in the form of a hat-trick once every six months. That individual approach is just not how we will win tournaments. AJ definitely has the vision that Walcott will always lack, he just needs to harness it, become a consistent presence and a ninety-minute-plus player. Yes, his development has stalled a little, but I'm not worried about an indifferent six months when what I'm talking about could take him a couple of years.

VinceYoungisaBLUE said:
If Barca can incorporate Sanchez, we should be able to fit AJ in

Barca attackers (not midfielders) are Villa, Pedro, Messi, Sanchez.

City attackers are Aguero, Dzeko, Balotelli, Tevez, and if you want to include, Silva and Nasri.

Sanchez 4th choice, AJ 7th. It would probably be fair on him if he wanted to go to let him go and play somewhere else, but that's not up to me.

Andouble said:
VinceYoungisaBLUE said:
If Barca can incorporate Sanchez, we should be able to fit AJ in

Barca attackers (not midfielders) are Villa, Pedro, Messi, Sanchez.

City attackers are Aguero, Dzeko, Balotelli, Tevez, and if you want to include, Silva and Nasri.

Sanchez 4th choice, AJ 7th. It would probably be fair on him if he wanted to go to let him go and play somewhere else, but that's not up to me.

Well certainly not to one of our rivals.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.