Adam Johnson's progress.

CityFan94

Has Mancini made Adam Johnson worse over the last year?

This isn't a dig at Bobby but, around this time last year, he said Johnson would'nt get much gametime as he wants to make him better all-round and more aware defensively. That all sounds good, but I don't think Johnson has got any better. Infact, I think he's gone backwards.

This time last year, I thought Johnson should have been starting, his dribbling was brilliant and was creating a lot for the team. He was very exciting! In 2011, he's been quite poor. I think there's a very good player there somewhere, but he's nowhere near that at the moment. It's not just the last few games either, the last quarter of last season was the same. And he was getting quite a lot of games then too. He's no longer exciting and doesn't look half the player he was when he came. He's dropped down the England rankings too.

What's your opinion on this? Making him better defensively sounded like the right to do at the time, but has it actually made Johnson go backwards?

When I've seen him in our side he is more of a rounded player linking play through midfield better with the occasional spurt in the box and cross

Yes I agree.

He's also made Silva a worse player than last year - actually he's made Man City much worse since he's been here.

waspish said:
When I've seen him in our side he is more of a rounded player linking play through midfield better with the occasional spurt in the box and cross

I agree he's more rounded, which was what Mancini said he wanted to make him. But he's less exciting and not as good either.

The only person that has stunted Johnno's growth is Johnno himself. There were a lot of signs that he was getting too big for his boots, which there have been less of lately so hopefully he's knuckling down and we'll reap the rewards soon. He hasn't got time to fuck about

CityFan94 said:
waspish said:

I agree he's more rounded, which was what Mancini said he wanted to make him. But he's less exciting and not as good either.

Yep I agree he needs to improve his movement after passing the ball and without it! If he doesn't make significant strides in Mancini mind he'll getting further down the pecking order and probably end up at Sunderland

MickyBenno81 said:
Yes I agree.

He's also made Silva a worse player than last year - actually he's made Man City much worse since he's been here.

Everyone knows Mancini's made Man City a lot better, but we're discussing one player's progress here, so do you want to stay on topic or just make stupid posts?

CityFan94 said:
Has Mancini made Adam Johnson worse over the last year?

This isn't a dig at Bobby but, around this time last year, he said Johnson would'nt get much gametime as he wants to make him better all-round and more aware defensively. That all sounds good, but I don't think Johnson has got any better. Infact, I think he's gone backwards.

This time last year, I thought Johnson should have been starting, his dribbling was brilliant and was creating a lot for the team. He was very exciting! In 2011, he's been quite poor. I think there's a very good player there somewhere, but he's nowhere near that at the moment. It's not just the last few games either, the last quarter of last season was the same. And he was getting quite a lot of games then too. He's no longer exciting and doesn't look half the player he was when he came. He's dropped down the England rankings too.

What's your opinion on this? Making him better defensively sounded like the right to do at the time, but has it actually made Johnson go backwards?

It's perhaps a double-edged sword.

Mancini clearly rates him, cited his injury back in January as having a major impact on our season.

He also put the block on a couple of loan options during this summer.

However, Johnson is like any player, he needs games, but doesn't warrant them based on the few opportunities which have been allocated him.

Like Mancini, I believe he can be the real deal, but I have formed the impression Johnson, albeit coming in off the line a lot more, doesn't believe he should adapt much more, that if all else fails, he'll simply move on and do 'his thing' elsewhere.

I'm more concerned with his fitness levels. He has a solid frame, but his aerobic capacity, certainly on my eye, needs to be addressed, and quickly.

He has been blowing out of his arse inside the first-half hour of games, no doubt, trying to satisfy Mancini's demands for the defensive side of his game.

As a result, any decent team, jams him right in front of our own full-back (Everton have been masters of this in recent times). Barring Messi-like skill and pace, the team is asking maybe too much of his talent levels.

If he was to be left in the final third, with 'chalk on his boots', I think he would be a revelation, the cause of major chances and goals.

A more box-to-box midfielder would maybe allow Johnson to play his more natural game, pick up his slack.

I've no doubt at Liverpool, Spurs or even United, he would be shouted at the roof tops, first-choice for England.

He's a young lad, seemingly liked by all the players, but like any young guy, he enjoys a night out perhaps more than he should as a pro athlete.

The same can maybe said for plenty English players.

Johnson has a big decision to make this season. Stand still, get left behind.

Alot of fans from other clubs always seem to ask why Adam Johnson doesnt play regulary? They only get to see highlights of AJ during a match. As we city fans know, he is effective for about several minutes during a game. Theres no doubting his class during those several minutes but he needs to learn that Mancini wants him to maintain90minutes of sheer class. Eg; Mr Silva.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.