Sergio Aguero leaves City after 10 years

You can’t be serious, how can a penalty miss affect their relationship? Other players have missed penalty this season btw.
Grow up
I think he means the nonchalance in which it was taken. I'd have definitely had him play some part in the CL final (his performance v Everton alone deserved that) but maybe Pep saw it differently as that goes in and it's 2-0 and effectively changes Chelsea's mentality in preparation for the final? We can't just include anyone for sentimental reasons but FFS Aguero doesn't even get on the pitch and Sterling starts?

Strangely fine with seeing in him a Barca kit. We had him for 10 great years, he won (almost) the lot with us, he scored a tonne of goals, he gave me some of the greatest memories I associate with football and with my family, and now he's gone to complete his career in a sunnier country where he can be closer to his son. He's playing alongside his best mate as well, so I can only hope he's happy there for the next couple of years.

His dad can say what he wants. It won't change how I feel about Sergio. Like Yaya, I care about what he did for us on the pitch far more than anything he might have said, or his agent said, after he left. I was there in the ground when Serge scored against QPR, I was there in the ground when he scored against Everton, and I treasure every other wonderful moment he provided for us outside of those two amazing days.

Maybe I'm more comfortable with him being in a Barca shirt now because I always worried I'd see him wearing their kit much earlier. I never thought he'd leave us high and dry, but I did always have that thought in the back of my mind that one of the big Spanish clubs would move in one summer (2015 or 2017 felt most likely) and that we'd be powerless to stop them. That never happened, when it always could have - we got a decade with him.

I think what makes me most sad about him leaving is that, for me, his departure marks the absolute final death of my adolescent years. He came to City when I was 17 - I was newly single and doing my A-levels, I spent my weekdays at college and my weekends playing football with my mates and going to the Etihad my mum & uncle. Serge was my idol during that 11/12 season and the last one standing from that first title-winning team.

Aguero's leaving makes the passage of time that little bit harder to ignore. Last year my uncle passed away (only 58), I turn 27 in a few weeks, and I genuinely can't remember the last time I kicked a ball with my college mates. It's not Sergio in a Barca kit that feels wrong, it's him being 33 and constantly injured that feels wrong. Whatever City do from this point on, it won't be the City team I loved and felt connected to as a teenager.

Fernandinho is the only player left standing from the early days after the takeover, when every game felt like life or death because going into college/uni after a defeat and facing the United lads was hell. What's the equivalent of that now? Some anonymous dweeb on Twitter called "MartialSzn" laughing about net spend? Of course I still love City and I'm excited to be going back next season, but the complete absence of the 11/12 team will be hard.

Maybe I'm not fine with seeing him in a Barca kit after all.

Pep crying did seem odd given that he and Sergio have never seemed that close.
Football supporters In Spain admire him as a coach but not necessarily as a man. Now that might be something to do with the Catalan issue.

Reactions: mat
Football supporters In Spain admire him as a coach but not necessarily as a man. Now that might be something to do with the Catalan issue.

I saw those tears as maybe regret he's let him go.

With his injuries and Covid he saw it as the right thing to do. Then the Everton game he saw the old Sergio again.

As Pep would say "It's done. We move on."

He will always be a blue. Despite what his father says.

Maybe, just maybe, Pep is capable of acknowledging and appreciating the contribution Aguero has made to the club while also believing he isn't the best fit for HIS tactics.

Its like a parent that will cry at the loss of a potential in-law but also acknowledging their child is doing the right thing by moving on because the person was not right for them. Maybe Pep is more dedicated to the club than he is to a specific player?

Hot take: Relationships aren't black and white and can be complex

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.