Admitting I’m an Alcoholic

well done mate. you've taken the biggest step in admitting it and telling your loved ones. that is the most important thing you can do.

I have had an addiction to Gambling for many years - the best advice is to just hit it at all angles, exactly like you are doing - take every step possible, i'd recommended AA and forums associated with that, also give a couple books a read - Allen Carr is good.

take 1 day at a time, accept you will get good days and low days but always think YOU'RE FREE! no longer a slave to alcohol, which does no benefit to you at all except ruin your health and relationships.

Good luck
Jesus that is rough one.

I have had good friends who had drug addictions several family members with alcohol issues but the worst I have seen is gambling. So damaging and insidious, one of my mates is battling it and unfortunately not doing very well. For us the scale of the problem, the money owed, the things you did to make money was horrendous. Still doubt we know the full story.

How did you kick it do you mind me asking and is it something that you no longer crave? Apologies if its too personal a question.

Good luck fella. Keep focused and keep yourself busy I guess. Maybe draw up a list of things you want to do/achieve. I’m by no means an expert by the way but I wish you the best.

The first big step was admitting you have a problem.

The second bigger step was asking for help.

Step one and two can be a dangerously long way apart from each other, it seems you've acted quickly. Good.

Completely embrace and engage the help you're given. There is nearly always a deep lying issue(s) underpinning your addiction, and a good counsellor will help you face it/them, but you must be brutally honest with the counsellor, and yourself.

Work hard, engage and embrace help, a lot of people get great comfort from group therapies, they're not for everybody, but definitely give it an honest go.

A person very close to me has, thru immense effort, hard work, and brutal honesty, dragged herself away from literal oblivion. She's five years sober now, and strong with it. But even now, every day, she works the program, even tho she doesn't do the groups anymore. We talk openly and honestly about it, it's never hidden.

Work hard, apply yourself, be honest with yourself, and you won't need good luck.

And remember, most importantly, it's just for today

well done mate. you've taken the biggest step in admitting it and telling your loved ones. that is the most important thing you can do.

I have had an addiction to Gambling for many years - the best advice is to just hit it at all angles, exactly like you are doing - take every step possible, i'd recommended AA and forums associated with that, also give a couple books a read - Allen Carr is good.

take 1 day at a time, accept you will get good days and low days but always think YOU'RE FREE! no longer a slave to alcohol, which does no benefit to you at all except ruin your health and relationships.

Good luck
Gambling cost me my marriage/home/family relationships as my now ex-wife had a gambling addiction which resulted in us losing everything and spiralling debts.

In a conversation with her counsellor, he said that gambling addiction is worse than alcohol or drug addiction as there are no visible effects - drink and drugs physically take their toll on peoples bodies - gambling is purely affecting people's minds.

That's not to say to the OP that their addiction is any less important than a gambling addict and, credit to the OP for reaching out for help,

Regarding alcohol and alcoholics and functioning alcoholics, not disputing it is an issue - but I think a lot of it is perspective.

I drink 4 nights a week and to my non-drinking girlfriend, I'm an alcoholic, but to the people I know who drink 7 nights a week, I'm doing nothing wrong!!

If the OP feels they have a problem and seek help, then eternal credit - only they know how they feel

Gambling cost me my marriage/home/family relationships as my now ex-wife had a gambling addiction which resulted in us losing everything and spiralling debts.

In a conversation with her counsellor, he said that gambling addiction is worse than alcohol or drug addiction as there are no visible effects - drink and drugs physically take their toll on peoples bodies - gambling is purely affecting people's minds.

That's not to say to the OP that their addiction is any less important than a gambling addict and, credit to the OP for reaching out for help,

Regarding alcohol and alcoholics and functioning alcoholics, not disputing it is an issue - but I think a lot of it is perspective.

I drink 4 nights a week and to my non-drinking girlfriend, I'm an alcoholic, but to the people I know who drink 7 nights a week, I'm doing nothing wrong!!

If the OP feels they have a problem and seek help, then eternal credit - only they know how they feel
Light weight

My partner drinks every night at least two bottles of red wine, usually starts at around 4pm after finishing work.
She’s doesn’t get hangovers.. Christ if I had two bottles I’d be dead ! The next morning it’s like she hasn’t had anything, maybe her body is used to the amount.

Possible alcoholic ? Sometimes maybe she’s doesn’t drink on Monday’s this has been going on for years.. gets me down a lot because I don’t want to spend my weekend down the pub like in the passed. She’s can’t wait for them to re open.
Don’t get me wrong I have a couple watching City but it’s only on match days.

Good luck

Fair play and well done for kicking the gambling addiction, it is an awful illness (as is any addiction).

I really wish Media channels would sack off ramming "betting" down the viewers/listeners throat. It is really fucking stupid that Talk Sport did a gambling awareness piece hosted by Jim SHite who would then in his next show ask Paddy for the odds etc. Same with that fat twat Alan Brazil who won't shut up about gambling. I feel sorry for recovering addicts who like their sport and trying to get away from the gambling. Sadly money talks and is why media channels constantly plug it.

If you cut your drinking, your social circle shrinks rapidly from my experience. I felt isolated after I did it, but stick with it, get into running or something to get those endorphines kicking in and you'll look back in 5 years and have zero regrets.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.