Advice on a bee's nest

shevtheblue

We seem to have a bee's nest in the wall cavity near the roof of our house, i'm not sure what type of bee it is but it's quite a large swarm. Reading online, there are suggestions that if it's a bumblebee nest then they need to be left alone and they'll leave on their own. Problem is we have very young children and so do the neighbours, we can't go out into the garden or open the windows as they're getting everywhere (bit of an issue due to the weather, obviously). Most of the places i've checked online say they won't touch most types of bee's and only really go for wasps. Anybody have any experience with something like this or know anyone in the Stockport area that could sort it?

Kill one bee, put it in a box, the others will swarm nearby because they send out a distress signal to the other bees so when the swarm arrives, close the box lid to trap them in it before moving the box to a woodland area then remove the box lid to allow the bees to escape before running like fuck to avoid being stung by angry bees.

Bee keeper the way to go if they are honey bees (small dark coloured not bright yellow) and the sooner the better as the nest can get quite large I.e 1000+ bees.

If they are bumblebees not a great deal you can do other than destroy the nest but it’s generally not advised due their declining numbers. Bumblebees lifecycle is only short and the nest size is fairly small (100-400 bees max) and not aggressive. If you do see a small swarm of bumblebees outside a nest then they are reaching the end of their lifecycle and mating, a few weeks after nest dies and the future queens go to make a nest somewhere else. All the other workers die which I think is what you are seeing with the dead bees.
We had the same problem last year (even posted it on here).

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.