Aeroplanes of the Second World War

better dead than red

I've always been very interested in history. If we go on holiday and something of great historical significance is nearby (within 2-3 hour car journey) I make an attempt to visit. I've started taking my children on day trips to battlefields. Recently, took my 6 year old on a day trip to Gettysburg. We had a lovely time.

Sorry to digress, one of the many things that interest me are WW II aircraft, fighter planes in particular. I think they are beautiful! Anyone else share in the love for them?

A couple of my favourites are

The Curtis's P-40 Warhawk of The Flying Tigers Fame
fly-by-P-40.jpg

The Vought F4 Corsair- my great uncle flew one in the Pacific Theatre against the Japanese
Vought_F4U_Corsair_%28USMC%29.jpg

The North American P51 Mustang, the Cadillac of the Sky
3primary.jpg

And of course, the Supermarine Spitfire
Supermarine-Spitfire-Mk-XVI-1-600x450.jpg

I've always been very interested in history. If we go on holiday and something of great historical significance is nearby (within 2-3 car journey) I make an attempt to visit. I've started taking my children on day trips to battlefields. Recently, took my 6 year old on a day trip to Gettysburg. We had a lovely time.

Sorry to digress, one of the many things that interest me are WW II aircraft, fighter planes in particular. I think they are beautiful! Anyone else share in the love for them?

A couple of my favourites are

The Curtis's P-40 Warhawk of The Flying Tigers Fame
fly-by-P-40.jpg

The Vought F4 Corsair- my great uncle flew one in the Pacific Theatre against the Japanese
Vought_F4U_Corsair_%28USMC%29.jpg

The North American P51 Mustang, the Cadillac of the Sky
3primary.jpg

And of course, the Supermarine Spitfire
Supermarine-Spitfire-Mk-XVI-1-600x450.jpg
The sound of the Merlin engine gets me every time. What a sound.

I went to an air show down in Eastbourne a few years back as my then brother in law was working for the Royal Navy recruitment stand so he got us VIP tickets.

Of all the different aircraft we seen that day( Chinooks,Eurofighters etc) the star Of the show was the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight and the Lancaster Bomber. What an incredible plane that was.

I remember being outside the air and space museum in the mid 80s and a spitfire, hurricane and Lancaster bomber did a fly past over head. For what reason I don't know.

Only read about this the other day, Spitfires would bring down V1 rockets by flying alongside and tipping them over with their wing tips, upsetting their gyroscope and causing them to fall away from populated areas. These guys must have had nerves of steel.

https://goo.gl/images/qQe5H2

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.