Aeroplanes of the Second World War

I recently researched my Grandad who was shot down and killed over Monchengladbach. It was 75 years ago on 31st August this year. 31/08/1943). He was 21 years old, and at the time of his death, a rear gunner on a Wellington Bomber for 166 Squadron based at Kirmington in North Lincolnshire. I believe this Squadron were due to start flying Lancaster Bombers from September 1943 so he must have just missed out.
I've been able to locate where his bomber crashed so it would be nice to visit the site at some point. I've still to try and locate a photo of him or of him and his crew so this may be something I research further over the years. His daughter (my mother) is also dead so it's not just a case of asking her for anything.

Your Grandad is a true hero, tail gunner was a job for only the extraordinarily brave. I urge all readers to pause and think about him and, of course, all his comrades for a while at 11 on Sunday.

I've researched some wartime photo archives recently, so PM me if you want to share what I found out on the chance it helps you.

I recently researched my Grandad who was shot down and killed over Monchengladbach. It was 75 years ago on 31st August this year. 31/08/1943). He was 21 years old, and at the time of his death, a rear gunner on a Wellington Bomber for 166 Squadron based at Kirmington in North Lincolnshire. I believe this Squadron were due to start flying Lancaster Bombers from September 1943 so he must have just missed out.
I've been able to locate where his bomber crashed so it would be nice to visit the site at some point. I've still to try and locate a photo of him or of him and his crew so this may be something I research further over the years. His daughter (my mother) is also dead so it's not just a case of asking her for anything.
https://wartimememoriesproject.com/ww2/airfields/airfield.php?pid=1779

Also, try Newark Air Museum. They have a lot of archive stuff from Bomber Command stations.

The International Bomber Command Centre may also be able to help. https://internationalbcc.co.uk/

You've likely seen this website. If not, it may have information you find interesting and could perhaps use in your search. Good luck.

http://aircrewremembered.com/list-of-pages-relating-to-1943.html

The courage of these people is amazing. I remember having a close look at a Hurricane and deciding I wouldn't have the bottle to go up in it, let alone fight in it. They were all heroes.
In the very early 90s I went past a camp site near Oxford and dropped in for a look round. Chatting to the warden, he said he'd just had a pleasant experience, in that his kids had paid for a flying lesson for his 70th birthday at Oxford airport. He went up in a Cessna with the CFI, and was asked if he wanted hands on, so he said yes. After a few minutes, he told him that the controls were a bit sluggish, and was asked if he'd flown before.
He told him that he'd been a Hurricane pilot in the Battle of Britain!
At the end of the lesson, he was allowed to land the plane himself, saying that it was a lot easier than a Hurricane to land.
A quiet, unassuming man, but, as one of the "few", one to be looked up to and respected.

Yes, a B&V 141 artillery-spotter aircraft. I don't think it went into full production.

Mosquito is my all-time favourite aircraft. So beautiful. Making it out of wood and so fast it didn't need defensive armament is so eccentric for something so successful. I saw a documentary about restoring one to flying condition in USA. When the test pilot finally flew it, he was blown away by how ridiculously exciting it was to fly.

http://www.historynet.com/the-miraculous-mosquito.htm
'Hermann Göring was another Mosquito fan. “In 1940 I could fly as far as Glasgow in most of my aircraft, but not now!” he famously said. “It makes me furious when I see the Mosquito. I turn green and yellow with envy. The British, who can afford aluminum better than we can, knock together a beautiful wooden aircraft that every piano factory over there is building….They have the geniuses and we have the nincompoops.”'

Big shout for the Fairey Swordfish the nemesis of the Bismarck.

faireyswordfish.jpg

I was more of a WWII navy ship/submarine guy, but went through an airplane phase as a kid. Generally loved the bombers, but always had a soft spot for the Coursair and the P-38 Lightning
Coursairs
1138318af46627eaab5f350e812ab913.jpg

P-38
924413b197d4d5a454468e44fcb282c5.jpg

All time fave is the B-17. Pictured here with a B-24. Great models to build as a kid.

d7b10f2237164903237f79fa32be87e3.jpg

All time fave is the B-17. Pictured here with a B-24. Great models to build as a kid.

d7b10f2237164903237f79fa32be87e3.jpg

If you like the Liberator are you aware of this story? Joe Kennedy jnr - the Kennedy son that should have been president lost his life in this - and after that JFK - the other son with an heroic war behind him stepped up to the plate and became POTUS. The world could have turned out different eh?

https://io9.gizmodo.com/5985733/the-secret-drone-mission-that-killed-joseph-kennedy-jr

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.