"Ageing city running out of time"

Whilst I agree that Neville has a point, it seems obvious to me that we are addressing this very issue.

Take this summer's transfer dealings.

Mangala is in at 23, he will replace Dimichelis who's what? 32/33.

Barry was released and his replacement is Fernando, as Garcia was obviously a stop gap.
Fernado is just 27.

Jovetic was brought in to replace Tevez last summer.

We are almost certainly hoping to replace or supliment Ya Ya with Pogba, Barkley or similar.

Kelechi Iheanacho looks likely to replace Negredo and would anyone be surprised to see Isco join in the next year?

Yes we have many players in their prime, they are winning things. Champions league winners are normally full of aging players.

Madrid had Casilas, Ramos, Pepe, Alonso and Ronaldo all close or over 30.
Bayern before them were probably be an exception but still had some very experienced players.
Chelsea had arguably their oldest squad when they won it.
Barcelona had Puyol, Xavi, Inesta, Villa and Abidal.

It's not like we're standing still is it?

Our youth teams are looking very good.

Kompany and Magala look like our defensive pairing for the next four seasons, I have no doubt that we will start looking for Vincent's replacement over the next few seasons. It looks like Mangala was identified early on.

Silva, Nasri and Navas are in their prime.

The balance in age of our side is the key. Unlike United we don't look like we'll be forced to buy all at once.

The problem lies with a 'home grown' quota, we need to look for young domestic talent. Maybe not good enough to play every week but hood enough to hold their own in the squad. A new James Milner, a fit for purpose Richards.

If I had my way I'd add Sterling, Barkley and a decent back up keeper to our ranks. Replacing Willy, and complimenting Ya Ya and Nasri for a season or two. Perhaps in the next two years young full backs to replace Clichy & Sagna. Back up full backs, then replace Zaba and Kolarov with top draw full backs in the next 2-3 years.

Add Barkley as soon as, we are close to having the funds as I see it, especially if we sell perhaps Sinclair £2 million.

Next summer spend our budget on Sterling & and a replacement for a Frank, someone like Delph if he continues to improve or look abroad.

All a bit pipe dreamy really, but I think we'll have it all in hand.

I personally believe there has been an intentional shift to getting older players in intentionally so that there are positions for the academy to start to fill in the near future. We'll see how that pans out over the next few years.

I have complete confidence in the Senior management at City. Every time I read something/ watch an interview from Mubarak, I'm extremely impressed and reassured that they know what they are doing. City have recently tied down long term deals for: Komapny (28), Silva (28), Kolarov (28) Nazri (27), and Džeko (28) which will see us get their best years, on top of Aguero (26) committing his future and if you believe the press Hart (27) and Milner (28) will be next. Zabaleta (29) is contracted until 2017, recent signings Fernandinho (29) Navas (28) Fernando (27) all with us for a few years too. All 11of these players are under 30 and will be at their peek over the next 3-4 seasons. Mr Slip down the road is just starting to be considered "past it" by some and he is 34, the young lad who broke Chelsea hearts on Sunday is 37... they all have 4-5 years at the very top level.

With the FFP rules we have been forced to be clever with our accounts in the coming years, therefore reducing the requirement to buy, and as importantly ensuring we get good money for players not going out of contract for the next 3 seasons has been a key priority, and one which City have gone about with their usual ruthless efficiency. On top of this we have started to build up a nice group of players for the future: Jovetić (24) is already a first team standard player and Mangala (23) looks the real deal, Nastasić (21) we know is young but could already do a job in the first team. Then potential stars of the future, some of whom will break into the first team over the coming years: Rekik (19), Bruno Zuculini (21), Guidetti (22), Lopes (18) and Iheanacho (17) who should get a permit when he reaches 18. How many of those would get into many Premiership first teams already?

Some interesting points Mr Neville, but don't you worry blue boys, whilst we have the likes of Mubarak at the helm of a great management team the future is sorted, just enjoy the ride!

Running out of time for what? The Champions League is not an entitlement. If you assemble an exceptional squad, and the breaks go your way, then maybe you win the CL.

Hell, without unbelievable luck, most of Chelsea's core players would never have won it. Great players like Drogba, Lampard, Terry, etc. I will never get to the point where I feel like Real Madrid fans, where anything short of a CL is disappointment. That would suck all the fun out of the sport for me. I usually like Neville's analyses, this one is also very good. But I could never think that way.

The vast majority of the players are now battle-hardened and have that winning mentality, and that comes with age and experience. That is vastly underplayed.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.