Aguero contract situation

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Aguero plays nice on the terms of that contract, he more than deserves an offer. That offer shouldn’t be what he’s made to date. Same as Dinho. Time to play nice, let the others make theirs.

I think it comes down to solely whether he can prove his fitness. That would be across 90 minutes, over a spell of games, and also in terms of injuries. If he can match up to standards, the club will almost certainly make some kind of offer.

Of course, what we don't know is what that offer may be. I suspect contract length may become a sticking point, and possibly wages too.

Unfortunately for Aguero (and Fernandinho), given his age and the fact his contract is running out he is rather easy for the club to let go. Not replace, that'd be extremely difficult, but to let go. So it's really important that he puts any doubters in place over the next few months.

I think it comes down to solely whether he can prove his fitness. That would be across 90 minutes, over a spell of games, and also in terms of injuries. If he can match up to standards, the club will almost certainly make some kind of offer.

Of course, what we don't know is what that offer may be. I suspect contract length may become a sticking point, and possibly wages too.

Unfortunately for Aguero (and Fernandinho), given his age and the fact his contract is running out he is rather easy for the club to let go. Not replace, that'd be extremely difficult, but to let go. So it's really important that he puts any doubters in place over the next few months.
give them both a deal in the morning. Fernandinho 1 year and sergio 2 year. We aren't looking behind the couch for a few bob and they are both massively important players who are intrinsic to our team. Just get it done

If he contributes to the squad and team then 100% yes, but if we offer the contract on sentiment , no.

He has to prove his fitness before the season ends, if he does not then it's time to say adios to the greatest striker in out history and welcome to Manchester Little Alf.

How does he prove fitness when manger flat out refuses to use him? Don't say he might be doing something wrong on training. Blah
Those doing great in training aren't finishing things for shit in front of goal. Better use proven goal scorer for that role and test him. He can prove match fitness and also show whether he cN continue at top. Nothing can be proven by sitting on bench

No it doesn't. You're somehow ignoring the squad spots issue - we can't sign any reinforcements until the space is freed up. And players with expiring contracts (Kun, Dinho) will be the first on their way out, that's how City function

No it doesn't. You're somehow ignoring the squad spots issue - we can't sign any reinforcements until the space is freed up. And players with expiring contracts (Kun, Dinho) will be the first on their way out, that's how City function
I'm going to dig my heels in a bit here and say no, that isn't how City function.

City don't get rid of high quality players just for the sake of freeing up space and wages. Especially since Pep arrived.

When Pep arrived, he quickly moved Touré to one side because he was overweight and unfit. He would have been an easy candidate to let go because of his huge wages and ending contract. But in mid-season he got his act together, had a strong finish to the season and got an extension, presumably on big money still and continuing to take up a place in the squad.

In 17/18, I think in the Amazon documentary, it was shown that the club wanted to offer Fernandinho a shorter deal because they weren't sure how his legs would last. Fitness was the only issue.

In 18/19 there were strong rumours the club was going to let Kompany go at the end of the season. His injuries and fitness problems meant he couldn't be relied upon and it was up in the air as to whether the club would be willing to handle it. It was believed that they'd see how the season panned out, much like Aguero now. He turned out to be a great asset in the end of that season and the club wanted him to stay after all (although he left anyway).

Last season, Silva left. But it was only because he couldn't reliably play multiple games a week over a season. So it was mutually decided that it was best to part ways. Like Fernandinho now. It was never a question of quality and it was never about freeing up space. Because I'd bet my bottom dollar that if Silva was as fit as he used to be then not a single person at the club would have let a player of that level go.

This season, with Fernandinho, it's the same as Silva.

So with Aguero, I'd say it largely does come down to fitness. Unless he's magically lost his ability (which I guess is plausible with the injuries), a fit Aguero that can be relied upon over a season is still a truly top class goalscoring player. The club would not let him go as there would be no need to bring in a new player to replace him.

I admit as I said in my original post, his age, contract, and injury history make him more easily expendable. So if the club were bringing in both Haaland and Messi, then yes he'd be one to let go. But those two are exceptional players that go beyond City's usual MO with signings.

So no, City don't move top older players on for the sake of freeing up space, that is not how the club operates. The club has recently only signed players in positions that need filling in, and usually the players they are replacing are either not good enough (eg. Clichy), too old (eg. Silva), or left on their own volition (eg. Sané).

Both Touré and Kompany have established the precedent that if you show that your both good enough and fit enough, the club will want you to stay on. Besides, if the club were letting Aguero go, we'd know by now. Like how we found out early with Silva and. Fernandinho.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.