Aguero contract situation

Status
Not open for further replies.

shockin-hocking

Sergio Agüero has rejected the prospect of a summer departure from Manchester City by claiming he has “no reason” to leave the club.

The Argentine forward has been at the centre of prolonged speculation about his future at the Etihad Stadium since the break-up of his marriage was made public earlier this year, with Real Madrid preparing to exploit the player’s personal situation with a move for the former Atletico Madrid player at the end of the season.

Although Real’s interest in the £34 million striker is likely to remain, the Spanish club’s hopes of signing Agüero were dismissed this week by Manchester City chief executive Ferran Soriano, who said that the 24-year-old would not be sold.

Agüero has now echoed the club’s stance by speaking openly on his future for the first time, with an insistence that he is happy to stay at City.

“It’s simple,” Agüero said. “There are always rumours in the summer, all the time, but I am very happy at City. I’ve got four more years on my contract, I’m going to work hard for City and everything else is just rumours.

“Every player wants to play in big teams that win titles. We didn’t win anything last season, but we have won trophies in the last few years, so there is no reason to go.”

Agüero’s domestic situation, with his estranged wife, Giannina, returning to Madrid with the couple’s son, Benjamin, has placed a cloud over the player’s future in England.

But the forward says he is keen to look to the future and is hopeful that the club and fellow Argentine Carlos Tévez can come to an agreement for the former Manchester United striker to extend his contract beyond the final 12 months of his present deal.

“I want to play with all the big players and Carlos is a big player, so I would like him to stay,” Agüero said. “But part of football means that players move around from one club to another, so I can only talk about myself and Carlos can only talk about himself.”

The dismissal of manager Roberto Mancini last week has led to Malaga coach Manuel Pellegrini being identified as the Italian’s successor at the Etihad.

Pellegrini’s success in Spain with Villarreal, Real Madrid and Malaga has ensured that his imminent appointment has been well received within the City dressing room, but Agüero admits that the team must improve on this season’s failure to win a trophy when the Chilean takes charge.

“I don’t know Pellegrini personally, but I have heard from other players that he’s a very good manager,” Agüero said.

“We don’t know if it’s him who is definitely coming yet, but when we do know who is coming, we will have to make sure we adapt to their system and try to do our best.

“All we have to do is look at the present, who is coming next and make sure we build things properly for next season. It’s just part of football.

“We lost too many points at the beginning of the season and that’s why we really struggled. We didn’t manage to recover those points.

“We played well in the second half of the season, but because we struggled in the first half, we lost too many points.

“Roberto always tried to improve the team and to win, but in football when you lose games, don’t win titles and you are expected to win titles, things like this happen.”

City are due to fly back to England on Saturday evening following this Friday's friendly against Chelsea at New York’s Yankee Stadium.

Club captain Vincent Kompany is expected to play after managing 45 minutes in Thursday’s 4-3 victory against Chelsea in St Louis, but caretaker manager Brian Kidd has confirmed that the Belgian missed the final two games of the season against Reading and Norwich following another setback with a long-term calf problem.

Kompany is not expected to undergo summer surgery to resolve the issue, however.

“After the Cup final, Vinny was feeling his calf and couldn’t do any training,” Kidd said. “He had one day of training before the Norwich game and it wasn’t worth risking him.

“We were trying to protect him, but he won’t need an operation. It’s like everything. Vinny wanted to play the last game of the season but one game wasn’t worth the risk.”

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/manchester-city/10079703/Sergio-Aguero-pledges-his-future-to-Manchester-City-despite-interest-from-Real-Madrid.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/footba ... adrid.html</a>

Can only be good news!

Re: Aguero to stay

shockin-hocking said:
Sergio Agüero has rejected the prospect of a summer departure from Manchester City by claiming he has “no reason” to leave the club.

The Argentine forward has been at the centre of prolonged speculation about his future at the Etihad Stadium since the break-up of his marriage was made public earlier this year, with Real Madrid preparing to exploit the player’s personal situation with a move for the former Atletico Madrid player at the end of the season.

Although Real’s interest in the £34 million striker is likely to remain, the Spanish club’s hopes of signing Agüero were dismissed this week by Manchester City chief executive Ferran Soriano, who said that the 24-year-old would not be sold.

Agüero has now echoed the club’s stance by speaking openly on his future for the first time, with an insistence that he is happy to stay at City.

“It’s simple,” Agüero said. “There are always rumours in the summer, all the time, but I am very happy at City. I’ve got four more years on my contract, I’m going to work hard for City and everything else is just rumours.

“Every player wants to play in big teams that win titles. We didn’t win anything last season, but we have won trophies in the last few years, so there is no reason to go.”

Agüero’s domestic situation, with his estranged wife, Giannina, returning to Madrid with the couple’s son, Benjamin, has placed a cloud over the player’s future in England.

But the forward says he is keen to look to the future and is hopeful that the club and fellow Argentine Carlos Tévez can come to an agreement for the former Manchester United striker to extend his contract beyond the final 12 months of his present deal.

“I want to play with all the big players and Carlos is a big player, so I would like him to stay,” Agüero said. “But part of football means that players move around from one club to another, so I can only talk about myself and Carlos can only talk about himself.”

The dismissal of manager Roberto Mancini last week has led to Malaga coach Manuel Pellegrini being identified as the Italian’s successor at the Etihad.

Pellegrini’s success in Spain with Villarreal, Real Madrid and Malaga has ensured that his imminent appointment has been well received within the City dressing room, but Agüero admits that the team must improve on this season’s failure to win a trophy when the Chilean takes charge.

“I don’t know Pellegrini personally, but I have heard from other players that he’s a very good manager,” Agüero said.

“We don’t know if it’s him who is definitely coming yet, but when we do know who is coming, we will have to make sure we adapt to their system and try to do our best.

“All we have to do is look at the present, who is coming next and make sure we build things properly for next season. It’s just part of football.

“We lost too many points at the beginning of the season and that’s why we really struggled. We didn’t manage to recover those points.

“We played well in the second half of the season, but because we struggled in the first half, we lost too many points.

“Roberto always tried to improve the team and to win, but in football when you lose games, don’t win titles and you are expected to win titles, things like this happen.”

City are due to fly back to England on Saturday evening following this Friday's friendly against Chelsea at New York’s Yankee Stadium.

Club captain Vincent Kompany is expected to play after managing 45 minutes in Thursday’s 4-3 victory against Chelsea in St Louis, but caretaker manager Brian Kidd has confirmed that the Belgian missed the final two games of the season against Reading and Norwich following another setback with a long-term calf problem.

Kompany is not expected to undergo summer surgery to resolve the issue, however.

“After the Cup final, Vinny was feeling his calf and couldn’t do any training,” Kidd said. “He had one day of training before the Norwich game and it wasn’t worth risking him.

“We were trying to protect him, but he won’t need an operation. It’s like everything. Vinny wanted to play the last game of the season but one game wasn’t worth the risk.”

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/manchester-city/10079703/Sergio-Aguero-pledges-his-future-to-Manchester-City-despite-interest-from-Real-Madrid.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/footba ... adrid.html</a>

Can only be good news!

Understatement post of the year... :)

Fantastic news, if true. All we need now is the Aguero of 2011/12; 100% fit and banging in goals for fun. That injury he picked up in the opening game against Southampton really affected his form/confidence for the whole of last season.

2011/12: 48 appearances and 30 goals (in all competitions)
2012/13: 39 appearances and 17 goals (in all competitions)

Won't go down the goals appearance ratio route as a 2 minute appearance would be counted as the same as a 90 minute turnout. But I'm sure most would agree that, last season,he was a shadow of the previous season's player.

Good news but he'd better buck up next season - he wasn't good enough on too many occasions last season. A family break up is not fun so I can see the reason why but he can't let it linger on into next season.

Sergioo, Sergioo! Brilliant news that, can't stop smiling!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.