Aguero injury - Silver lining for Jesus ?

But do you judge him on the past month or what he's done the past decade?

Every time Sergio has had a bad patch (and I wouldn't even call it that bar his usual poor game at Anfield - for me, he's had a couple of really good games in that time), he comes back and proves that his goalscoring ability is one of the best there's ever been in this country.

If players were judged on their last decade, Zabaleta would still be our RB and Yaya anchoring midfield.

Sergio has basically embodied Peps "Not clinical in the boxes" complaint since September, even in games we were winning easily, he was missing tons of easy chances. Then in the close games, it's carried on.

If we are going to win anything this season we need a clinical striker, whether that's Aguero getting his form back, or Jesus taking a step up. Either way, a short break might be better in the long term.

He’s deserved a run in the team all season. It’s bad that it takes an injury for him to get that opportunity, but here we are. He seems to score more often than not when he starts, but it’s the pressing that we need most from him. We’ve become so used to seeing Guardiola’s City press aggressively that I see people on here thinking we’re still good at it. It’s taken for granted that we press high up the pitch. But if you watch us lately, we have fallen rapidly in this area of our game. And without abusing them (as some will claim), it is mostly down to Silva and Aguero. They can’t do it any more. Not to the level we need. Foden and Jesus need to be starting a hell of a lot more than they do. We need energy, athleticism.

Until we learn when to transition from the old to the new, we will keep going through this cycle of looking like a slow, ageing side to then looking better after a mini-rebuild. We need to be more seamless in moving from one generation to the next instead of flogging them until their bodies give in.

Last edited:
Sergios finishing in the last month or so has been anything but clinical.

The two home games v CFC - last season he missed that one at the far post and then smacked that one in from a Zinky toe-poked pass, and the scoop on Saturday onto the bar, but no screamer to make up for it. There's no explanation for the kind of miss from last season but he can score a goal from anywhere! PL defences will be breathing a little easier with the news of an injury!

with your best options you have the best chances of wining. its simple aguero is the best pound for pound striker is the world and will be missed if out
We'll be in trouble if Jesus gets injured, but if Jesus takes his opportunity it could work in our favour.

Aguero scoring record is there for all to see but if we had a young Kun Aguero, or an Mbappe they'd be scoring even more.

We're also at the point where Sterling may play down the middle. Jesus can accommodate that as he can play wide, but Aguero can not.

I see so many posters (and fans at the game) bemoaning how opposition teams need 1 or 2 chances to score and then how we need 5 to 10. If that is true - is Aguero gonna be missed? Jesus has a similar goalscoring record. I am not at all denigrating Aguero but I sometimes wonder if he looks better because of the amount of chances he gets (hence his record for Argentina is worse when the opposition he plays are usually easier)

To think losing one of the greatest strikers in the history of the premier league can be viewed as a positive!!!!!! Should go into politics with that kind of logic .
Jesus is Brazil's no.9 blessed with speed, and great control. He's hungry. This could be his chance. He may take it and thus out of bad news can come good.

In my opinion it's a very marginal call as to who starts even when they are both fit.

We don't know yet how long Aguero will be out for. Hopefully not long.

Aguero's goals are so reliable that it is almost impossible to leave him out, but I feel that if we were to give Jesus a run in the side he might offer even more to the side than Aguero. I have never seem a striker with such quick feet as Jesus. He can take the ball in really tight positions and control the ball, and you just don't know how he does it. He is quicker than Aguero. Much quicker, which means the through ball becomes an option, and he can also play wide which means he might be a better partner for Sterling who could also be very threatening playing down the middle.

A lot of outside observers seem to think that City are very reliant on Aguero but I think if you gave Jesus a run he would outscore Aguero. Jesus is quite a different type of forward to Aguero. He doesn't have his strength, and maybe he doesn't have his goal instinct, but technically he is one of the best players I have ever seen.

I hope Aguero is not badly injured, but if he is out for a few weeks this actually may work in our favour, as I feel all Jesus needs is a run in the side.

I'd also start playing Foden too.

Last 20 minutes I loved watching Foden and Jesus harry the entire Chelsea back-line and prevent them from building up play. Defending from the front is potentially a big part of Guardiola's game plan, and David Silva and AGuero don't do it very well. Foden and Jesus are on a different level.

Regardless of injury, I'm feeling that this is Foden and Jesus's time. You may disagree. But it is very good for City fans that City have two players who I feel are almost certain to be able to fill Aguero and SIlva's shoes when the time comes. That time is very close indeed.
I completely agree with you about Sunday. The level of control we had in the last 20 minutes was down to Gabby and Phil defending from the front. They were both brilliant. I have mixed feelings about the remainder of your post. Gabby is nowhere near Kun as a goal scorer albeit he is technically very clever and his energy is wonderful. I worry about his finishing nb his two recent penalty attempts which were amongst the worst I have seen. I think Raz can play down the middle but he is much more effective wide and making runs into the middle. From one perspective giving Gabby an extended run might prove something but it might not be the outcome that you or any of us would like.

The two home games v CFC - last season he missed that one at the far post and then smacked that one in from a Zinky toe-poked pass, and the scoop on Saturday onto the bar, but no screamer to make up for it. There's no explanation for the kind of miss from last season but he can score a goal from anywhere! PL defences will be breathing a little easier with the news of an injury!
The one that stands out this season for me is at anfield where he has a side footer from 8 yards out and just misses the ball. He scores that and i think it would be back to 3-2 and we are totally back in the game. Just feels that recently he misses a heck of a lot of easy chances.

If players were judged on their last decade, Zabaleta would still be our RB and Yaya anchoring midfield.

Sergio has basically embodied Peps "Not clinical in the boxes" complaint since September, even in games we were winning easily, he was missing tons of easy chances. Then in the close games, it's carried on.

If we are going to win anything this season we need a clinical striker, whether that's Aguero getting his form back, or Jesus taking a step up. Either way, a short break might be better in the long term.

Well the things we know about Aguero over the past decade is whenever he has a 'bad month or so/bad game at Anfield' - in which time he's still outscored Jesus by about 5 goals to 1, he normally comes back and scores even more goals when his supposed loss of form comes back. We also know he's really slow at coming back from injury and it takes him about 5 games to get fully sharp again.

I just don't see how losing the Premier League's best goals per minute scorer (over however many goals) is going to be beneficial to us. I don't think it will massively harm us either because I rate Jesus and we will be better off the ball because we were awful on Saturday (although Sterling, Silva, and Mahrez take most of the blame for that) but he's not in Aguero's league when it comes to finishing at the minute, even if Aguero has missed some high-profile chances recently.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.