Sergio Aguero leaves City after 10 years

A lot of speculation in this thread. I’ll pose a question though, Haaland may or may not be the no.1 target but what if we don’t get him or our no. 2 option etc. Nothing is certain in football so why take the risk of announcing he’s definitely off when we don’t actually know if he will be replaced?
What happened this season, where he has barely been fully fit and available.? We will manage. Khaldoon said long ago that at the end of his contract, what would happen would be Sergio's choice. Nobody should be shocked whether he stayed or left. The club will have a series of options under consideration, maybe already have a solution. He will be replaced, there is no "if " about it, only whether it is DeLap, Haaland, or player/players X, that is a certainty.

An absolutely fantastic player who has given his best years to our football club and deserves his lengendary status. I cannot wait to see his statue alongside David and Vinny. It is very easy to forget his injuries when he plays like he did today though. His time at the top level playing 3 games a week is sadly over and he demands a very high wage. I believe imo that Sergio was offered a new deal but his 1st team status was not a guarentee and his wages were much lower. That ultimately was and is why we are parting ways. For now. Sergio is an elite footballer but an ageing elite footballer who is the wrong side of 30. No footballer is ever going to admit that they are not at the elite level required or at the level that they once were and sadly have become unreliable. Sergio is no longer reliable and demands a place and wage in the squad that we can no longer afford to sacrafice for a player who can possibly miss months of the season at a time. This was imo what happened with Vinny also. Seeing Aguero so happy today gave me all the confidence and closure I needed to know that he is happy and ready to take on a new challenge. You will be deeply deeply missed Sergio and you will forever have a special place in all blues hearts. Now go and win that Champions League. You deserve it more than anyone.

View attachment 15524
Great post, intelligent and sincere, a fine tribute to end a great week.

A lot of speculation in this thread. I’ll pose a question though, Haaland may or may not be the no.1 target but what if we don’t get him or our no. 2 option etc. Nothing is certain in football so why take the risk of announcing he’s definitely off when we don’t actually know if he will be replaced?
Supposedly been offered a pay-as-you-play deal, but obviously wants a proper contract. I don't know how reliable the source is on that though.

1. Because Sergio needs time to sort out his next move, without a media circus around it making it out that he is disrespecting the by club speaking to others, or that the club is keeping him in the dark about his future.

2. because it would be unfair of the club to keep him waiting on his future.

3. he can no longer be a regular first choice, and may not want to play any other way (and deserves not to have to).

4. He may want more length on his contract than the club is willing to offer, and it is unfair of the club not to be open with him on this.

5. he may want more in wages than the club is willing to offer and it is unfair of the club not to be open with him in this.

6. because we had a crucial third of the season left without a distraction around sergio's playing time and what it means for the future, both within the team and surrounding him.

7. giving fans time to process and accept a big emotional reality, and giving the club time to properly thank him, which is and has been happening.

And ok maybe a distant 10th to let other striker targets know there is a spot here to want to fill, but that is very much a side. I don't think the club 'know' they will definitely land the preferred replacement, they maybe have a good idea of who is availabile and what it takes and what theh are prepared to do. As well as having options lined up. Sergio's situation needed sorting out regardless, he deserved it being done early, the club benefit from it being done early.

And on 'why not fernandinho then' completely different. Nobody is asking the type of questions we were seeing daily for sergio. He is also playing pretty regularly. He may already have his next moce sorted (a move back to brazil has been claimed) or there may he a contract offer on the table both he and the club are comfortable with, pending on the rest of the season playing out.

Last edited:
Vintage Sergio today.

Gah. Why is he leaving us. Stay forever Sergio.

Your second line is so natural and logical to follow your first.

Ask yourself though, when was the last other time you said the first? Or the time before that.

There is your answer to why he is leaving.

He’s the one player that’s synonymous with the club all around the world. He is Manchester City.
My Nephew is a United fan because my Brother in-law is, he’s only a young kid so doesn’t know any better..., but his favourite player is Agüero! He’s got Agüero posters on his wall, goes to the barbers and asks for an Agüero cut, sings the Agüero song. When Agüero came back from injury earlier this year and was named on the bench, he celebrated!

He looked razor sharp today and will be a huge loss to us. I really hope he doesn’t stay in England, because he’s ours.
I kind of hope he does stay in the Prem, so we can give him a proper ovation when he comes to play against us. We won’t get the chance otherwise

I guess if there is a choice between Aguero for 2 more years or Haarland, the right business choice is Haarland. It’s this summer or not for Haarland ans the release fee puts him in grasp of many other clubs.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.