Aguero's disallowed goal

I think it was a case of linesman's call - if the flag had stayed down it would probably have stood. VAR cannot pinpoint the precise moment the player makes contact with the ball. Perhaps we should start putting microchips in the player's boots?

No they don’t want it, because they don’t want transparency.
The two incidents you reference are extremely debatable, so if the ref had to talk through his reasoning for giving a decision, the next time a similar incident occurred then they couldn’t then give a different response, it would soon become obvious it was bent.
This why it’s all cloak and dagger. None of us know why they looked at Agüero’s goal, some of us don’t know if it was handball and why was a penalty given for holding in our game, but not in United’s.

If it was all in the open it wouldn’t take long to get a bank of incidents and the result of the decision. Then when they start changing the decisions it would look to obvious.

I commented on the review of Aguero's goal immediately it happened, as it was clear from a quick replay, that absolutely nothing untoward had taken place.

It's one thing these blokes in the van checking it over, just to make sure that the referee doesn't need to be alerted about anything, but it's quite another when they have involved the referee, in a complete non incident for the goal, which appeared to go all the way back to Laporte winning a header.

That's not part of the goal incident at all, & the fact they spent so long looking at it, said to me that those people are actively looking for a way to disallow it, rather than doing their job. The ref should have just got a message 'no problem' ten seconds after it went in.

The 'offside' from Fernandinho's 'foul' should have been the one which took ages, as there were a lot of players involved, moving around, any of whom could have been committing an offence.

As you mention the Utd game, I recon there is a very good chance if that is City v Liverpool, they get several penalties irrespective of v.a.r. but penalties for stuff like that are rarely ever given against the red teams, only for them.

Michael Oliver would not miss an opportunity like that, if Liverpool were playing Burnley or Wolves.

I don't believe any of that will change, with v.a.r. no matter how inconsistent it is; the pundits will mostly agree with the refs as they did in the World Cup, as they like v.a.r.

And if it happens that we are playing v Liverpool or Real Madrid & v.a.r. gives them a horrible, bent, game changing deciision, everyone will tut tut about it, then move on.

Just like the numerous awful decisions we suffered v Liverpool last season don't matter, nor will any v.a.r. ones, it will just go down in history as they win.

The only time it will matter is if one goes against them, which will create such a shitstorm, nobody in a v.a.r. box will ever want to do it again.

I think it was a case of linesman's call - if the flag had stayed down it would probably have stood. VAR cannot pinpoint the precise moment the player makes contact with the ball. Perhaps we should start putting microchips in the player's boots?
In rugby league, if they cannot prove the original on-field decision was wrong, the original on-field decision stands.

VAR changes the dynamics of offside, by bringing decisions to a ludicrously small scale. If Sergio was offside yesterday, it was by an inch. Thus the idea of doubt has been eliminated. So benefit of the doubt can no longer accrue to the attacker. Not only that but VAR will seek to find a difference when, for all practical purposes, players are level. I predict we will soon see VAR using over size pictures to find that fraction.
So, the offside rule needs to be changed when VAR becomes the norm. The simplest solution is to say that legs don't count in the decision, only the torso. That restores the benefit of the doubt to the attacker. In addition, you could introduce a rule that says if the torsos overlap, the players are level.
Making such fine judgements is ludicrous when the exact moment the ball moves from the passer is just guesswork.

If you look at Aguero's body position & then compare it to Harry Kane, in an almost identical situation v Chelsea, he was facing forward, leaning forward, with his foot 'level' Aguero was standing straight.

Somehow, Harry Kane can have his body in front of his foot & be onside, but Aguero is off.

I predicted this inconsistency would be the case when Kane got away with it, & it hasn't taken long.

But not in football.

Unless it suits them.

Same with Union, dependent on what question is asked by the ref:

"Try or no try?"
"Any reason why I can't award a try?"

Using replays and more angles is a great idea, but in practice, especially in football, it's a fucking shambles

I commented on the review of Aguero's goal immediately it happened, as it was clear from a quick replay, that absolutely nothing untoward had taken place.

It's one thing these blokes in the van checking it over, just to make sure that the referee doesn't need to be alerted about anything, but it's quite another when they have involved the referee, in a complete non incident for the goal, which appeared to go all the way back to Laporte winning a header.

That's not part of the goal incident at all, & the fact they spent so long looking at it, said to me that those people are actively looking for a way to disallow it, rather than doing their job. The ref should have just got a message 'no problem' ten seconds after it went in.

The 'offside' from Fernandinho's 'foul' should have been the one which took ages, as there were a lot of players involved, moving around, any of whom could have been committing an offence.

As you mention the Utd game, I recon there is a very good chance if that is City v Liverpool, they get several penalties irrespective of v.a.r. but penalties for stuff like that are rarely ever given against the red teams, only for them.

Michael Oliver would not miss an opportunity like that, if Liverpool were playing Burnley or Wolves.

I don't believe any of that will change, with v.a.r. no matter how inconsistent it is; the pundits will mostly agree with the refs as they did in the World Cup, as they like v.a.r.

And if it happens that we are playing v Liverpool or Real Madrid & v.a.r. gives them a horrible, bent, game changing deciision, everyone will tut tut about it, then move on.

Just like the numerous awful decisions we suffered v Liverpool last season don't matter, nor will any v.a.r. ones, it will just go down in history as they win.

The only time it will matter is if one goes against them, which will create such a shitstorm, nobody in a v.a.r. box will ever want to do it again.
Which is why all of it needs to be shown on a stadium screen and the referee should have to explain what he’s give and why there and then, before they have the chance to confer and bend the rule to support the narrative

having seen the aguero none goal again and again and am sick of saying it VAR and football needs a big review of the rules and changes for it to work

first thing is the linesman and flagging for offside if its close or not ??? play should go on and let VAR sort it out to many lineman are flagging when its clear onside meaning the player has to stop and the chance goes begging, and the aguero goals looks offside but how close was it so the rule needs to change in when the lineman flags for offiside, even take out of the game when the player has to stop the attack just play on and see what happens and let VAR sort it out in the back ground

second thing is handball how and earth can VAR judge on hand ball when its so close and a player is trying to get his arm out of the way (its ball to hand) and not a foul sp again the rules need to be change in the way VAR can over rule the referee with a slow motion clip that shows ball hitting the arm or hand, sorry its going to be a long day watching football if VAR has to judge every clip when ball its the arm or hand

so VAR is coming like it or not and i can see more outburst by players and manager and fans going mad for wrong and clear mistakes being used to give advantage to the big clubs and VAR not being use in the right way ????

I been saying we need a chip inside the ball. After what happened last season against arsenal , we need technology to be absolutely correct regarding ball crossing the line also .

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.