Ajax Amsterdam

Thought they were good and thought they got a rough deal off the officials in the first leg. So fair play, they were great back in the day as was that Dutch team of that era.

I’m quite surprised at how well they have recovered since the 1974 disaster when 8 of their players were smashed into bits in the great wardrobe in my bedroom falling on them tragedy.

I like Ajax and it’s not like me to like one of the typical hated clubs from any league.

Just think they’re cool though. Iconic kit, Total Football, mint stadium, mint city and Jack Reynolds!

When I was a kid I supported City, we were ok and to be fair we won a cup, we weren't great though and clearly we didnt fair well against other teams from the North West, first Liverpool then United. However like many here I kept the faith. However I need to come clean, as a young lad I had an affair, I was allowed to watch sportsnight and I got to see the magical Ajax team of the seventies, I was mesmorised.

I had never seen football like it, and Cruyff was immediately marked in with indelible marker as the greatest player I had ever seen. I so, so wanted that shirt, til this day I think the old Ajax shirt is the coolest ever, but also I could never afford it. I did the next best thing and bought the subbuteo team.

I still have a very soft spot and I don't particularly like Real Madrid or whatever they stand for.

What a result, I hope we qualify and draw them, what a treat, my wife may even treat me to the shirt.......40 years too late.
Absolutely exactly the same as me. My memories are of them playing european nights, and their kit then is still the most beautiful football kit I've ever seen. They were mesmerising.

I watched most of the match. I think they’re all juiced up.

Are the distance covered stats up? Interesting how differently people perceive the same match. In my opinion, they were tactically and technically better than Madrid but I can't say I noticed anything about physicality being the determining factor. They just seemed better.

I'm amazed that no-one tried to buy Tadic while he was at Southampton. He always looked class. Certainly on the same level as Sigurdsson at least.
Yeah have a feeling tadic can be world class around the right players. That left foot is a wand.

Yeah have a feeling tadic can be world class around the right players. That left foot is a wand.

But he was at Southampton for a few years and never seemed to do much there. At 30 years old, after the performance the other night, you wonder where all this was? Why haven't we seen this ability?

Maybe it was a one off. Sometimes, ordinary players shine in a few big matches and you get a misleading idea of how good they actually are.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.