Alan Ball or Frank Clark era....

I think the Alan Ball fiasco was tempered a touch when he left and Phil Neal took over. Suddenly I started questioning was getting shut of Ball the right thing to do. Frank Clark, albeit who seemed a nice guy, was fucking clueless.

I think in Schindler's book on the Summerbees there's a comment from Nicky Summerbee about how Ball never did anything on a Friday because he had his head in the Racing Post. Says it all.

I'd love to see the flow of cash related to his multiple south coast transfer dealings.

I think in Schindler's book on the Summerbees there's a comment from Nicky Summerbee about how Ball never did anything on a Friday because he had his head in the Racing Post. Says it all.

I'd love to see the flow of cash related to his multiple south coast transfer dealings.
Well we bought Buster Phillips for 500K and sold him a year later to Real Madrid for £10m.
Didn't we?

Far too young to remember the Alan Ball era, but I do have a question.

We took 2 points from the first 11 games but then 36 from the remaining 27.

That means from the final 27 games we had a PPG of 1.33, which replicated over a full season would have got us 50/51 points to finish 10th/11th.

In other words, we were in upper-mid table form for more than two thirds of the season.

Our final points total (38) has proved enough to stay up on several occasions, and even this time it was simply goal difference that rendered it not enough.

Therefore, my question is...was Ball really that bad? Or is he remembered unfairly just because of a disastrous start?

Mad Frank for me as at least he had a decent start before it all fell to pieces.

I remember visiting some customers in Nottingham and they were Forest fans. We began talking football and when I said which club I supported they began slating Clark. When I said he was doing well they all said 'Wait until he starts buying'. How right they were.
Like trying to choose between vomiting and diarrhoea but I think you're right. We at least had a decent start under Clark and he got decent performances out of some of the players.

Dave Wallace was Fan on the Board at the time Ball was appointed and he wasn't impressed. He told me he made disparaging comments in the Evening News and Franny rang him up quite annoyed, saying h's had nothing but praise for the appointment. Dave said his response was "Funny how every fucker who's rung you thinks it's a great appointment while every fucker who's spoken to me thinks it's a terrible one". The ones who rang Dave were right.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.