Alan Shearer

He was the last, I think, of the old fashioned CFs - powerful in both feet, bullet header of the ball. I also remember the time he 'trod' on Neil Lennon's face and didn't particularly improve it!

Yes, he probably was. And a measure of how good he was was how he adapted to the changing style of football and maintained that effectiveness.

He and Lineker are probably the two best English centre forwards of the last 40 years, and couldn't be more different.

As been stated, he was a fantastic player and a dirty bastard, also very thankful he went to Newcastle, would have made the 90s alot worse for City fans if he was in that rag team.

He was an unbelievable talent who didn't need the pass or cross to be precise he would just bully and get there and smash it in his his head or boot. Considering thr Newcastle side he played in was good but not exceptional his scoring record is pretty incredible although he did play in an era when many professionals were half cut from the night before still during the game.

I think that's about right - he bullied centrehalves. When he talks about 'getting your elbows out', that's exactly what he used to do. Not that tall, but an absolute menace in the air or on the ground. Put the ball where it could be attacked, and he'd run all day.
Ate chicken and beans before every match from superstition (reputedly).

Complete striker. Pace matched with incredible power. As a striker he didn't really have a weakness. He would score taps in and 25 yard volleys plus he was incredible in the air. Brilliant player.

Hell of a player. He was lucky to have a great surrounding cast and normally had a top tier striker(Les Ferdinand/ Chris Sutton) next to him for the best part of his career, but this enabled him to wreak havoc.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.