Alan Turing

Very welcome but I agree with the comment that if he's pardoned then surely everyone that was convicted of the same offense should also be pardoned.

To be honest, the quote about reducing the length of WW2 by two years doesn't seem to accurately represent his achievements. Wouldn't the invention of the atom bomb by the USA have brought an end to the war in 1945 anyway? Wasn't his achievement that he prevented GB from being starved into submission before then?

cibaman said:
Very welcome but I agree with the comment that if he's pardoned then surely everyone that was convicted of the same offense should also be pardoned.

To be honest, the quote about reducing the length of WW2 by two years doesn't seem to accurately represent his achievements. Wouldn't the invention of the atom bomb by the USA have brought an end to the war in 1945 anyway? Wasn't his achievement that he prevented GB from being starved into submission before then?
Your position is not tenable. If you say his achievement was to prevent Britain being starved into submission, where would the bomb have been dropped from if not from an aircraft launched from a runway in Britain. It also supposes Germany would have taken priority for bombing over Japan (unlikely), and that the atomic bomb would have bombed a Germany in rude health into submission - also unlikely given conventional bombing in Germany killed over a million in a lost war without a surrender. Hitler was quite an apocalyptic man and believed Germany should go under and perish than surrender. It is also likely the Germans would have known from its own atomic bomb experiments that the US could not, and did not, have enough enriched uranium for more than the three bombs it did have.

gordondaviesmoustache said:
Skashion said:
It's one of the great shames of this nation that one of its true heroes, a man who likely saved millions of lives, was treated that way.
I agree, but don't you think there's something ever so slightly Orwellian and elitist about this?

I just knew that Blair would be blamed at some point.

nijinsky's fetlocks said:
gordondaviesmoustache said:
Skashion said:
It's one of the great shames of this nation that one of its true heroes, a man who likely saved millions of lives, was treated that way.
I agree, but don't you think there's something ever so slightly Orwellian and elitist about this?

I just knew that Blair would be blamed at some point.
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.badum-tish.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.badum-tish.com/</a>

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.