Album of the day - Genesis (Selling England By The Pound)

BlueHammer85

51y-SmocXhL._SY355_.jpg

Selling England by the Pound is the fifth studio album from the English progressive rock band Genesis, released in October 1973 on Charisma Records. It reached number 3 in the UK and number 70 in the U.S. A single from the album, "I Know What I Like (In Your Wardrobe)", was released in February 1974 and became the band's first top 30 hit in the UK.

The album was recorded in August 1973 following the tour supporting the previous album, Foxtrot (1972). The group set aside a short period of time to write new material, which covered a number of themes, including the loss of English folk culture and an increased American influence, which was reflected in the title. Following the album's release, the group set out on tour, where they drew an enthusiastic reception from fans.

Critics and the band have given mixed opinions of the album, though guitarist Steve Hackett has said it is his favorite Genesis record. The album has continued to sell and has reached Gold certification by the British Phonographic Industry and the Recording Industry Association of America. It was remastered for CD in 1994 and 2007. Several of the album tracks became fan favourites and featured as a regular part of the band's live setlist into the 1980s.

1. Dancing With The Moonlit Knight
2. I Know What I Like (In Your Wardrobe)
3. Firth Of Fifth
4. More Fool Me
5. The Battle Of Epping Forest
6. After The Ordeal
7. The Cinema Show
8. Aisle Of Plenty

Review 171

Genesis at their creative best and the album which started to give them a wider audience this despite 'Selling England By The Pound' not having any real well known songs on here, but as a whole it is one of the best prog rock albums i have ever heard - the Peter Gabriel era of Genesis showcased them as one of the best bands of the 70's - Track 3 is the standout, 'Firth Of Fifth' has to be one of the best tracks they ever did, if not just for the Pink Floyd-esque guitar solo on here, lyrically throughout it is so strong focused around the changing landscape of England whilst humorous in places aswell notably 'Battle Of Epping Forest' with its made up characters inspired by a east London battle.
'More Fool Me' stands out as the only real standard pop song, and it is a nice catchy ballard, with Phil on lead vocals this was a taste of things to come, the last few tracks do drag on a little but not to take anything away, this is a great album and right up there with the best.

9.5/10

Last edited:
Classic album. Always struggled to get into the Battle if Epping Forest though - too long and Not up to the usual Genesis standard. Firth of Fifth is one of the best ever though - some of Hackett’s best guitar playing and the keyboards are brilliant throughout.

Track 3 is the best one on there
The rest seem to enter 'twee' territory, as did a lot of Genesis music

Suppers Ready being my favourite tune of theirs

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.