Album of the day...In the court of the crimson king...King Crimson

ColinBellsjockstrap

k1xa4i.jpg

Very apt with the sad passing of Greg Lake....

I have to keep the cover hidden because it upsets my wife. This was painted by the artist who had no knowledge of the music and yet is so apt. He died shortly afterwards I believe. This is Gregs album. Confusion will be my epitaph indeed. Nearly perfect in every way. Produced by a gang of 20yr olds. Unbelievable. Only drags on Moon child. The Steven Wilson remix is jaw dropping. Gregs music will live on. This album will still be referenced in decades to come.

I'd always seen the album cover here and there... Eventually gave it a listen during lockdown. Not what I expected originally but got talk to the wind on now. Masterpiece

Still listen to it often. I used to love the bombast of 21st Century Schizoid man and Court of the Crimson King tracks, although I still like them I prefer the quieter music. Can you imagine anyone, never mind 20 year olds, making such music today.

Well, it's a funny thing, because I'm a huge admirer of later work by them (Starless and Bible Black, Larks Tongues in Aspic, and the sublime Discipline), but I've never got on with it. I can hear that it's quite unlike anything else that was happening in rock at the time (in that respect, I put it on the same level as Music from a Doll's House by Family, an album that still astonishes me over fifty years later). It's an album that I can respect, without actually liking it too much.
Sort of like reading Joyce's Ulysses and saying to yourself, yeah, ok, I can see that no-one else was doing anything like this, but it's a grind to read it, when it comes down to it.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.